Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inkjet Printers

bk T

Default Inkjet Printers

I'm thinking of getting a new Inkject colour printer, price range: $200 - $300.

What make and model is recommended? I was told that if I don't use the Inkjet printer for sometime, say, 2 weeks, the nozzle will dry up and makes the printer unusable. Is it true? I never used an Inkjet printer before!

Also, is it true that consumables like ink cartridges can be very expensive to change. What is the cost for printing a page of an average b/w A4 document? The main purpose of this printer is for printing b/w documents and maybe, sometimes some colour pages for my young daughter.

Thanks

Billy T

Default Re: Inkjet Printers

Try to get a model with separate ink tanks for each colour incl. black, it keeps the colour printing cost down.

As far as leaving unused is concerned, I left my Canon BJC620 for about 2 years without using it (because I had another printer to use), put it on last week and after a few seconds of auto head clean it was away without problems. Mind you, I always use original ink.

The S520 is the first Canon with separate ink tanks but I don't know the price. I just bought an S750 though, and that is three models up from the 520 but cost just $478 incl GST.

Cheers

godfather

>I was told that if I don't use the Inkjet printer for sometime, say,
    > 2 weeks, the nozzle will dry up and makes the printer
    > unusable. Is it true? I never used an Inkjet printer before!

Firstly, re ink drying up.
    I recently recovered an inkjet (HP 720C) from the shed, had been sitting for 1 year in a box, with partially used cartridges. I was pleasantly surprised (amazed actually) to see it printed first try, both B/W and colour.

PC World magazine just tested inkjets $299 to $799 (page 82 of current issue) and costs were 10c to 18 c per page B/W, 10c to 81c for colour (that will not be full coverage of colour, which would be $ per page I would think)

Some Epson printers are known to do a "head clean" every power-up, which can run away with ink. HP seem to be very reliable, but ink costs for any inkjet are significant. It costs $160 for a colour and B/W cartridge for my present HP (total, not each)

Peter H

I just purchased a Canon S300 - $200.00 on special from Dick Smiths. Main reason for choice, was the cost of cartridges and this was the cheapest. Genuine B/W $17.73 Colour $36.40. Compatable B/W $10.62 + gst & colour $17.73 + gst. Must add that I am very happy with the print Quality.
    Bye

Miami Steve

I have an HP Deskjet 850C that I got in 1995. I have only replaced the ink cartridges once since then, so you can tell how often I use it, but it prints perfectly when I do use it.

So, to answer your questions:
    1) I can personally recommend HP Deskjet printers.
    2) You shouldn't have to worry about the cartridges drying up.
    3) Yes, the cartridges can be expensive to replace (around $80 each, I believe).

Cheers
    Miami

Bazza

Billy T. Can I please ask your opinion of the S750 printer?

I have used an HP 820cxi for a few years. It is ok, B&W excellent, colour pic reasonable, but carts expensive.
    I have been considering a S750 for reasons of separate ink tanks, and hopefully better quality digital photo prints.

I would appreciate your comments of this printer.

Thanks.

Heather P

>I just purchased a Canon S300

So did I, again thinking "Wow, those cartridges are cheap" (had been using an HP at $80 a throw till then). Unfortunately.... went through the first 2 black cartridges in less than a month. It was 4 to 6 months per cartridge with the HP.

Am seriously contemplating getting the HP repaired.

roofus

Well i have a Canon BJC-1000SP which is the entry level model

Catridges for it are average price at around $50
    and the colour tank is 1 single cartridge.
    The reason i choose Canon was because of the cheaper ink tanks
    a cheaper price for the printer and the ability to use a super-econo mode for draft copies which will give you around 2000 pages per ink tank, as opposed to around 300-500 in standard mode

Print quality is very good for the price of the printer (was about $160)

Personally i think if your gonna get a printer, go for Canon or HP

bk T

Thanks folks, for all the valuable information.

I know what to look for now.

Cheers

Billy T

Hi Bazza

It is a bit too soon to venture an opinion, but I'm very pleased with the quality which is a quantum leap up on my older BJC 620 series. There was a trace of banding on economy colour printing but you needed to look close to see it. If I go to top quality print mode I think it will be pretty good.

I usually do regular head alignments for the first 4-6 weeks while the mechanicals settle down but it probably doesn't make much difference.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)