-=JM=-

Default Tuesday 12 November 2002 - news

Well back again with some more news and software worth trying/reading.

YZ Dock
    First up we have YZ Dock which is an easy to use program that will allow you to have a dock similar to that available in MacOS X. It seems to be working fine for me. Icons are to be stored in PNG (Portable Network Graphics) format. Grab your self something like IrfanView for converting Icons to PNG format. This software is for Windows XP only

Installing Debian from Knoppix
    Linux World has posted up a guide on installing Debian from Knoppix. Not to sure on whether it will work on the ones from PC World but I imagine that it should See here for more

Mac OS X 10.2.2 Update
    Apple has release and up date to OS X. Go here for more. Beats me if it works well or not. Would've tried it but they just took the demo Mac away from me

Why MS 'Ruling' Is Dangerous

Wired.com have posted up some info as to why the MS ruling is dangerous.
    Regardless of the judge, anyone who seriously thought Bill Gates would ultimately get more than a slap on the hand probably also believes in the t***h fairy(i) and trickle-down economics.

But let's set aside the core money issues of the case and think about a different aspect of Microsoft's overwhelming dominance of the PC world -- the potential for a computing-related Armageddon buried within the proprietary code of Microsoft software.

Alarming? It should be.

Read more here
    i. has been edited for the bebefit of others.

Next XP rev Longhorn a 2003, client-only product?
    It would appear that Longhorn isn't going to be a full-on new Microsoft Operating System. So what this means is that it will more than likely just be a Win XP with the SP1 and other bug fixes built in and possibly a small change in the actual code.
    The Grand Old Duke of York is clearly in charge of Microsoft's operating systems roadmaps for, having marched Longhorn up to the top of a distant (2005, said his Billness) hill earlier this year, he has now marched it straight back down again
    See here for some more info

Microsoft MCSEs are bogus boffins, say Canadian engineers
    It would seem that a few people are getting rather annoyed at people with the MCSE being referred to as "Engineers". People are now being fined for passing themselves off as engineers when they don't have the relevant P.Engs.

Verisign moves DNS root servers in defensive ploy
    After the recent DOS attacks on the 13 root DNS servers of the world. Verisign manage two of these. This is the first time that any of them have been moved since 1997. See here.

Til next time

PS. Also I passed semester one of the CCNA

Baldy

Default Re: Tuesday 12 November 2002 - news

Congrats -=J=- for the CCNA

I am enjoying your version of the newz. You can stay on in place of the "other" guy!

Did anyone see His Holyness on the news tonight getting a red blotch applied to his forehead?

BALDY:-)

Susan B

How come we've got Tuesday 11 Nov and Tuesday 12 Nov news??

Congratulations on the CCNA. With honours? :-)

er..... what's CCNA anyway?

-=JM=-

You can never have too many Tuesdays.

and CCNA is the Certified Cisco Network Administrator or something along the lines of that. I only have the first semester, there are four of them.

crozier

More weekends please

Susan B

>> You can never have too many Tuesdays.

Well, since one of them replaced Monday that's fine by me. I don't like Mondays. :-)

Graham L

"Certified"? That means they're coming to take you away. On Tuesday 13 November.

Cisco make nice stuff. IS the course useful?

-=JM=-

>>>Cisco make nice stuff. IS the course useful?

Well I wasn't going to turn it down when it's practically free Yes I have learn a lot. It's really interesting the different layers of the OSI model and the like. I already knew how it worked but you learn A LOT MORE doing a proper course on it. Just need to do the rest (have to pay) at some stage.

Haven't used any of the cisco gear yet. In fact I don't think we have any Cisco gear there, it's ATI. But NetSim is good.

Mike

>>> Why MS 'Ruling' Is Dangerous

That article is the long drawn out barely-possible version. The true reason that no self-respecting judge will come down strongly on Microsoft is money. Microsoft generates an incredible amount of cashflow in the US - tax, profits, exports, share trades, etc. etc. etc. If they get a ruling that tells them to shape up... they'll ship out - I bet there are many countries around the world that'll quite happily accept this corporate giant (understatement) with open arms (with NZ leading the way I'm sure). If the US government tries to break up MS or impose restrictions on them, they'll just move off-shore, and to be honest, the US govt doesn't really want that to happen, they just want to make a point.

Mike.

PS Congrats JM

Chilling_Silence

>
    > Verisign moves DNS root servers in defensive
    > ploy

> After the recent DOS attacks on the 13 root DNS
    > servers of the world. Verisign manage two of these.
    > This is the first time that any of them have been
    > moved since 1997.
    > See here.
    >
    >

Soz Ive been away pplz, long story...
    Just out of curiosity, What OS are those things running?