mcatley

Default Connecting Linux to the Net Via a Windows Xp Gateway

I am trying to get my Linux Mandrake 8.0 to connect to the net through a Windows Xp Pro gateway which is running the intergrated ics software. I need some help i just dont know where to start i am using SSH and webmin to connect to the Linux box which is also running a samba and i am also using winaXe for remote X server sesions. The linux box just has a net cable and power to it (ie no monitor). Any help would be appreceated.

Graham L

Default Re: Connecting Linux to the Net Via a Windows Xp Gateway

I don't know how ICS works. You could try using the normal network setup for the Linux, and tell it to use the XP box as the gateway and default route. That should make it work, if ICS works "normally".

Graham L

I don't know how ICS works.That's Microsoft stuff. You could try using the normal network setup for the Linux, and tell it to use the XP box as the gateway and default route. That should make it work, if ICS works "normally". ;-)

DangerousDave

Hey mark,
    wat about a proxy or something, be a bit difficult to set up but oh well, you've got most of the holidays...

man i wanna duel boot with mandrake but i dunno if my 120 could handle it, well can only try :P
    - David

Chilling_Silence

Have you gone and Pinged 192.168.0.1 (Which should be your XP Box)?
    If it returns back with a ping time which is probably <10ms, then you know the two are connected.
    From there, it should be clever enough to pick up that 192.168.0.1 is the gateway and your set. Make sure that your connection is shared on the XP box (In the Dial Up Connection Properties).

Cheers