Sharkey

Default How to make default folder

Hi,

Am running Win 2000 (OS), and want to do the following: When I open Windows Explorer, I want to be able to see one of my drives that I use often, open in the left-hand menu bar, by default (so I don't have to trawl through the menus to find it). How do I do this?

Also, if I want to view a .swf file to see if the embedded click-thru URL is correct, what software do I need to get to do this? I won't have access to the original FLA files, but I want to check the click-thru URL and also that the code contains _blank, so that when the image is clicked on, it opens the click-thru in a new window.

Do I need Flash, Dreamweaver, both, or something else?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    The Sharkmeister

Susan B

Default Re: How to make default folder

Hi Sharkey, :-)

Don't know if this is what you want or not, but I've got a shortcut on my desktop to Win Explorer and in the Properties>Shortcut>Target box I have: [pre]C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\[/pre]

This brings up the C: drive but you can change the C to any other letter (ie drive) you wish. You can also add a folder's path there as well if you want that folder to be the focus.

If you want to, you have have as many shortcuts to Win Explorer as you want, all opening in different drives or folders.

Hope that helps. :-)

Mike

>>> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\

What's the /n for Susan?

And if you want it to open at C: you don't need to put the C:\ on the end, as it does that by default with the /e,. But you must include the comma for some reason

Mike.

Susan B

>> What's the /n for Susan?

Buggered if I know.

I copied that from a help site years and years ago and since it works I just leave it alone.

>> And if you want it to open at C: you don't need to put the C:\ on the end, as it does that by default with the /e,.

That is not true. If I remove the C:\ it will open with the Windows folder as focus. I have Win 98 and I definitely need the C:\

Mike

>>> That is not true. If I remove the C:\ it will open with the Windows
    >>> folder as focus. I have Win 98 and I definitely need the C:\

I stand corrected But it must be a little different in XP. With it like this:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e (without the comma) it opens to C:\

but like this:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, (with the comma) it opens to My Computer.

How odd

Mike.

Susan B

Well thanks for that - I shall (hopefully *kneels down and prays to the PC Gods*) have Win XP up and running myself soon, so that info will be very handy. :-)
    [pre]fires up CardFile and copies notes into WinXP section[/pre]

antmannz

The /n stands for "open a new window".

Sharkey

Hey all - thanx for the input. Will give Susan's option a go.

I know you can do this as I've done it in the past - just damned if I can remember how!

I've got the 'My Documents' folder set up to be open (on my home PC) when I open Windows Explorer - giving me access to everything in that folder, which is the one I use the most.

I want to do the same for 3 folders I regularly use on my work PC. 2 folders are in one network drive and the other is on another network drive, so I want to shortcut to them in Explorer, if poss. I'm fairly anal about cluttering my desktop with shortcuts, so would prefer not to use that option if at all possible.

Actually, while I'm talking about these things... how do you set a specific folder as a default, so that when you click on an image and go 'save as', the specified default folder is the one that is opened when the 'save as' window pops up.

Customising your settings would be good FAQ if I could remember how to do half these things! :-)

Once again, any help would be appreciated. I might start another thread regarding my Flash question... it seems to have been lost in the race to solve the 'default folder' query! hehe

Cheers
    The Sharkmeister