Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Erin Salmon

Default A Solution to SPAM - all of it...

Hi all,

My first visit to the forum in months is due to a rather brilliant idea I recently heard.

It could be arranged so that whenever a computer sends an email, it is required to perform a basic mathematic calculation. Something that would take a reasonable computer something like a quarter of a second. This would not be a noticable hindrance to an ordinary email user, but imagine what the effect of this would be on a spammer, if they were only able to send 4 emails per second...

The tricky part is making it foolproof, ie the calculation cannot be avioded. What piece of software/hardware makes it obligatory to complete the calculation? This is the catch to the plan, but it should be fairly easy to come up with something... Any ideas?

Erin

roofus

Default Re: A Solution to SPAM - all of it...

I have heard this too, wasn't it in PC World, or was it on NZoom, i can't remember.

I question, why would a spammer want to use this software that involves them having to perform a calculation for each email. They will just develop software that sidesteps this.

Why doesn't everyone just use digital certificates?
    Hence eliminating spammers

gibler

It would also be helpful if ISPs simply tagged spam when it arrives at the mail servers for autoremoval or filtering by the customer. It would save them some disk space.

Alas there are some major spammers out there who would get their hands on certificates through foul means. You'd have to keep some sort of blacklist I'd imagine still.

The offenders simply need to be billed for their activity (at high prices) :-)

TiM©:*)

.........i dont get u guys........the only get spam mail every 2a month and it doesnt even bother me. its only one email that i just delete?

what r u guys definition of spammers?
    am i one?

crozier

> the only get spam mail every 2a month and it doesnt even bother me. its only one email that i just delete?

Then you're very fortunate. I have several amail addresses, onr of them for years, and I was getting up to 50 emails a day.

> what r u guys definition of spammers?
    am i one?

Do you send unsolicited emails? Of so then you're a spammer. Otherwise, no.

Erin Salmon

Agreed - the trouble is ensuring spammer perform the calculation... How?

If you get that few spam mails, you should possibly try applying to the guiness book of records...

I've had a hotmail address for about 5 years, and it gets about 75 messages a day... I have the most comprehensive filtering system imaginable, with over 600 blocked senders

However, imagine what would come in if I had no filters. ALL off it goes to the trash, and I only keep the account to trap spam - ie, I give that address online etc, then give people my real one from there.

My paradise.net account gets a few every day, enough to piss me off, but not enough to warrant ditching the address.

Erin

Baldy

> Agreed - the trouble is ensuring spammer perform the
    > calculation... How?
    >
    > If you get that few spam mails, you should possibly
    > try applying to the guiness book of records...
    >
    > I've had a hotmail address for about 5 years, and it
    > gets about 75 messages a day... I have the most
    > comprehensive filtering system imaginable, with over
    > 600 blocked senders
    >

> I've had a hotmail address for about 5 years, and it
    > gets about 75 messages a day... I have the most
    > comprehensive filtering system imaginable, with over
    > 600 blocked senders

75 a day, and you have "the most comprehensive filtering system imaginable" I WOULD GET A BETTER ONE....... I have Hotmail / Netscape / Yahoomail accounts and would be lucky to get 5 spam emails per week. Total over the whole shebang.

I am convinced that if you are getting that many, its your own fault Erin. Are you clicking everything in sight?

BALDY:-)

crozier

> I have Hotmail / Netscape / Yahoomail accounts and would be lucky to get 5 spam emails per week.

OK Baldy, you've got to share the secret of your success not

Clueless

The now dead pugwash@ihug.co.nz email account died mainly because it was a spam trap, which of course was my own fault as i kept putting the pugwash@ihug.co.nz address into websites and forums such as this.

Spam bots would see pugwash@ihug.co.nz harvest them, and now have yet another dead address in there databases it would get up to 10 spams a day, and it hasn't been round the block near as much as some of the others i have had, including pugwash@clear.net.nz (also dead) and some others i am about to make as spam traps just to waiste the resourses of spammers by putting addresses out there that will be dead in a week.

SPAM WILL ONLY DIE WHEN PEOPLE STOP BUYING STUFF THEY HEAR ABOUT THROUGH SPAM, AND SPAM GOES IN THE "TOO HARD" BASKET

.Clueless

-=JM=-

Why have a calculation, you just make it so that servers don't forward the email on so fast

Or just filter the spam.