Mike

Default Norton SpeedDisk

I'm wondering, do I need to include unmovable files in the unmovable files section of Norton SpeedDisk? Or will NSD already know that some files are immovable? Like with the old windows defrag, of the Win 95/98 days, would not move command.com and other key system files - does NSD also know this, or will it move them unless they're listed in the unmovable files section?

NSD 2002 and Win XP

Mike.

roofus

Default Re: Norton SpeedDisk

You can also specify a whole class of files as unmovable, based on the file attributes. Checking Read Only, Hidden, or System prevents Speed Disk from moving files having that attribute. Checking a combination of these attributes prevents Speed Disk from moving files having that particular combination of attributes.

1994-2002 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved.

That was straight out of help in speed disk. I'm sure command.com will be registered as a system file. So just enable this.
    Why do you ask this question anyway? If this was really a problem Nortons definately wouldn't have moving system files enabled.

SoniKalien

Speed disk will automatically pick up unmovable files, however the option is there if wish to specify yourself some files that you don' want moved.

Mike

>>> Why do you ask this question anyway? If this was really a problem
    >>> Nortons definately wouldn't have moving system files enabled.

Just to be safe - I'd seen in an earlier version (don't remember which) all the unmovable files were actually listed here automatically, yet in 2002 version they're not listed, so I was just being cautious.

Mike.

bmason

I seems to be moving everything for me (win98). I've just reinstalled so the disk was a mess.

Most of the unmovable files with Defrag are because they are marked as "System". I used to run "attrib -s -h -r /s *.*" from DOS mode to unset it so they could be defragged.

tweak\'e

well as i found out the hard way.... make sure you install goback AFTER you have install speed disk so goback will tell speed disk not to move the goback.bin file.

apart from that you do not need to tell speed disk about system files.

-=JM=-

excuse for sounding stupid.

But how do you mean SpeedDisk moving things like command.com?

Whats it gonna go, move it from windows to program files ?:|

Mike

JM, things like command.com etc. had to be stored on a specific part of the Hard disk for it to work properly, so it's not a matter of moving the location of the file when we're looking for it, but actually moving it from one part of the disk to another. If command.com was not found in a specific place on the disk, the disk wouldn't boot.

Mike.

-=JM=-

Thanks for the explanation Mike.