Shroeder

Default Squealing Monitor!!

My Philips 107E (3yo) is making a noise halfway between a squeal and a squeak (I've checked and the mouse is right where it should be, on the mouse pad!)

The noise level is at the annoying stage. Ever get that high pitched noise in your ear that you can't get rid of? Well it's just like that except that turning the monitor off stops the noise (but slows the work being done down)

Any ideas greatfully listened to.

Thanks

tweak\'e

Default Re: Squealing Monitor!!

try lowering your monitors refresh rate.

Antallica

My screen does that occasionally on lower res such as 640x480/800x600. What's your res and refresh rate?

Shroeder

Thanks all. My monitor is set to 1152x864

The refresh rate was set by RedHat 8 (using Philips 107S CM6800) as follows:

Horizontal 30.0-69.0
    Vertical 60.0-130.0

(NB: Redhat 8 doesn't recognise my 107E

I have now told it to use 107S CM1300 and this has reduced the vertical refresh rate to 50.0-120.0

Hopefully this will help

Graham L

It's probably the power supply. It's a bit unusual for one to "start" being noisy ... have you reduced other noises in the neighbourhood?

I don't think you will be able to hear above 30 kHz, unless you have been given gene therapy and they dropped some bats into the cauldron.

Billy T

Hi Shroeder

If you haven't resolved your squeaky monitor yet, since it is audible and at a relatively low frequency the probable cause is a sub-harmonic of either the power supply or horizontal scan circuit frequency.

This is usually cause by magneto-restrictive effect, i.e an ferromagnetic material is being excited by the presence of a high frequency electro-magnetic field. Typical sources are ferrite transformers or chokes with loose or cracked cores, ferrite beads that are loose on wires or loose windings on scan coils.

If it is constantly present, you may be able to track it down and fix it. This can be done by removing the back of the monitor, then if you can identify the general location of the source (quite hard with high frequency noises) prod/touch various components with an insulated tool (a plastic knitting needle, or a wooden or plastic chopstick is ideal) to see if you can alter the noise level or frequency. Look for dark grey metallic-looking bits and pieces.

For safety, operate the monitor via an isolating transformer or RCD while the back is off, or do not power up until it is sitting securely on a flat surface and keep your free hand in your pocket while probing with the chopstick/plastic tool in the other.

If you find the offender, a dab of hot glue or UHU will usually shut it up. Switch off before applying glue though, or you may make similar squeaking noises yourself!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)