Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suspend XP

Trev0

Default suspend XP

My comp never suspends automaticaly when I have any half decent screensavers on (3D). I can do it from the button though.
    I've installed the patch from MS that's suppose to, but doesn't, fix it.
    I'm on XP but I havent gone for sp1 yet.

So does anyone know of another fix?....

roofus

Default Re: suspend XP

Well before JM comes along and says that suspend sucks and you should install the Opera browser, let me try and help you out

My theory on why it doesn't suspend is because the 3d screensaver is using a reasonable amount of CPU power, and accesses the hard-disk a bit. Windows will then think that something else is running and not suspend, so as not to corrupt that activity.

Now obviously this is a common problem if microsoft has a patch for it, I would recommend SP1 just for the fact that half the time M/soft fix's these kind of problems with there updates.

Are you saying that this suspend works ok with a basic run of the mill screensaver?

Mike

>>> Well before JM comes along and says that suspend sucks and you
    >>> should install the Opera browser, let me try and help you out

Why do you have to pick on people when you reply roofus? You posted a good reply, but ruined it with your first comment which was totally unnecessary. Just leave it out

Mike.

roofus

More of a healthy niggle more than anything. It wasn't ment to offend JM at all. It's all good :-)

Mike

>>> More of a healthy niggle more than anything. It wasn't ment to offend JM at all. It's all good

Fair enough I obviously read it wrong then LOL

Mike.

Trev0

Will you guys stop bitching!... I have a major problematic dilemma here that needs urgent attention!! My comp makes enough noise as it is, If I'm not using it I like it to be quiet and just look good(ish) is the corner.
    anyway, that sounds like a good theory roofus, and yes it does just fine on starfield and the like.
    Do you think sp1 fixes it?

Mike

>>> Will you guys stop bitching!...

No

>>> Do you think sp1 fixes it?

I don't think it does - I was running a 3D screen saver the other day (I don't usually use screen-savers) and it didn't go into suspend or even just turn the screen off, and I've got SP1 installed. Either just set the screen to go into standby instead of a screensaver, or use a "simpler" screensaver.

Mike.

Trev0

Thanks Mike, I might have guessed Microsoft wouldn't have done the job properly (which is why I haven't installed sp1 yet)
    So that's the last time I buy anything from them again!!! well until next time that is...
    Ok i'll go back to boring old starfield, sob..

thanks anyway guys, and JM for not saying that suspend sucks and you should install the Opera browser..

Susan B

>>> Well before JM comes along and says that suspend sucks and you should install the Opera browser, let me try and help you out

roofus!! your butterfly suit is slipping off!!! :O

JM doesn't even use Opera anyway.

-=JM=-

Try using the screen saver "Blank" or having no screen saver. You have set the power management options correctly I hope.

Also are you wanting to "suspend" or "hibernate".

current browser list:
    Internet Explorer 6 SP1
    Crazy Browser (IE front end)
    Avant Browser (IE front end)
    Mozilla
    Phoenix