Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blue_face

Default Knoppix on this months CD

hi....

Just wondering.... Why is it that when I boot up Knoppix from this months cd, I cant see my mouse pointer? I have a microsoft optical mouse, problem occurs regardless my mouse is connected to the PS2 port or the USB port. Can this be fix? or maybe linux just don't like microsoft?? haha..

Blue_face

Default Re: Knoppix on this months CD

Sorry... Just realised that I Posted this topic up twice.

roofus

That is very weird, as if its on P/S2 then it should have no problems picking it up.
    Maybe it doesn't like microsoft :-)
    can't say i know a work around for it, try loading it up in expert mode

boga

Try hitting the enter button a few times.

bmason

If you pointer is just invisible (ie, right clicking somewhere brings up a menu) then its a problem with your graphics card rather than the mouse.

Hit F1 at the boot prompt and try some of the options listed, eg "knoppix xmodule=vesa".

If it can't find your mouse at all (it should mention it when its booting), try the "knoppix wheelmouse" option.

Chilling_Silence

On the subject of Knoppix probs, Its happened on two PC's for me know, Whenever I try to click on the K, the whole taskbar disappears.
    It'll throw an error, and come back, but the second time, it throws an error and wont come back. What should I do???

bmason

My guess would be its caused by the transparent menus etc, which are actually a bit of a hack and aren't distributed with KDE. IMO they should have left it with the default KDE settings and have their settings as a theme.

You can disable the transparencys by hitting the "Control Center" button on the panel.
    In the "look & feel" section, choose "theme manager", then select the default theme and hit apply. Then under "style" choose "high colour default" and hit apply.

Graham L

Blue_face: Even if it can't find the mouse, you should still see the mouse pointer. It will be exactly in the middle of the screen, and not move. ;-) I'd guess that it's the video system which is not displaying the cursor.

Chilling_Silence

I know in doze that adding cursor trails fixes it in all cases Ive seen. Dunno about cursor trails in Knoppix though

Blue_face

Bamson. I guess you are right. the pointer is invisable, and I forgot to mention that it only displayed 1/2 of the screen when it boot up.

I couldnt find knoppix xmodule=vesa, however, tried the bootup with the wheelmouse i got a error msg " only1 processor found"

I had a careful observation when it was booting the cd at a normal manner and i couldnt detect any errors at all. I hav a Gforce 4 and knoppix detected that.

So is there any other thing i could do? since I am a totally newbie in this o/s.