Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    promethius

Default Sleep key kills my internet connection....

Whenever I press the sleep key on my keyboard it kills my internet connection. This is very annoying (esp when I am downloading stuff), is there any way to stop this happening, or do I have to just stop pressing that button?

utopia

Default Re: Sleep key kills my internet connection....

If you're using a software controlled modem, its unloaded from the RAM when you press the sleep key, making you disconect automatically.
    If its hardware/firmware controlled, this shouldn't happen.

Billy T

You got it in one Promethius.

Don't send your computer to sleep and your connection won't close until you ask it to.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather

When your computer is sent to sleep, the download application is also suspended, so getting your modem to stay connected would be futile, as it would not be able to download anyway.

Sleep means what it says.

How much work can you do when you are asleep? Enough is kept alive to enable it to wake and resume (both you and the PC)....

Clueless

There is a more usefull button if you want to shut things that are unneeded down, but continue a download. This button is usually located on or near the front of the monitor, and turns off the only unneeded part of your setup

robo

Good point, Clueless.

Thing is, putting the thing to sleep basically knackers everything. When I read the subject line on this thread my first response was "well, duh". I just don't bother with sleep mode, never have, never will. Works fine on TV and that's about it.

robo.

promethius

Geesh......sorry.

Billy T

Don't be sorry Promethius

No ask, No answer

Ask away

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Clueless

i can arrogantly state the sleep mode sucks in many cases only because i been there done that and found out the hard way......

Vanessa and Sam allmost never get shutdown, but the screens get turned off, and that is the kind of power manangement i like. There are many who persist with power management, but as a rule, i believe, if it gets in the way...DONT USE IT.

Billy T

Is this you Promethius, spelling excepted ?:|

Prometheus belonged to a race of Titans that were cousins to the Gods. One day, he looked down to the earth and was very disappointing to him. He saw men crouched in caves, half-naked. Cold and shivering by small fires. He decided to talk to Uranus. He asked him why he kept the human race in ignorance and darkness. Uranus answered "What you call ignorance is innocence my friend, as long as no one convinces them that they are not happy, they will be happy."

Prometheus was still not satisfied so he decided to bring fire to man. He caught it on a stick from the sun and carried it to the dark and damp caves of man.

As immortalised in the ancient verses:

Come on baby light my fire

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :| :^O