Thread: Picky CD-Rom?

Polk

Default Picky CD-Rom?

Hey

My cd-rom is playing up. It reads some discs, and not others!
    As soon as i put in one disc it boots and reads it perfectly, and doesnt skip at all!
    But with others it doesnt even boot up, and just sits there skipping and my whole comp freezes, i have tried holding down shift to stop the autorun, but it doesnt work!

Whats wrong??!??!!!

Thanks

Win 98
    Intel Celeron 433MHZ
    192meg RAM

Chilling_Silence

Default Re: Picky CD-Rom?

How clean are the discs you use. Is it always some that work, or is it just a freak chance as to which discs work and dont?!

Sam H

> Is it always some that work, or is it just a freak chance as to which discs work and don't?!

If it is random then it maybe the CD-ROM lens that needs a clean although I have really never heard of that only with stereo CD Players where it is easier for the lens to get dirty.

However it may be a good idea to check the discs for scratches and grubby finger marks etc.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Sam H

Polk

discs are clean, even the old ones work.

All the new cds i get with NZ pc world dont work.

Have tryed a cleaning cd, didnt work. In fact i think it might have made it worse, anymore ideas?
    My parents say i should take comp to a computer doctor, will they just say what i think, get a new one? I have had this one for about 3-4 years.

Thanks

Graham L

The output of the laser decreases as it ages. After a certain point, you can't read some CDs. The contrast beween "pit" and "no pit" is what matters, and it depends on the production method. Different home-written CDs will give different results too.

What would a shop charge you to open the box and have a look? $40? A new 52X CD drive will cost you about $60 (or less). (See www.pricespy.co.nz/).

Try reinstalling the driver, and if that doesn't fix it, a new drive will probably be the answer.