Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mashimaro

Default just curious .. Who is using UPS with their PC?

I am as my machine is on 24/7

madmusician66

Default Re: just curious .. Who is using UPS with their PC?

I'm getting one for my Internet Server, and another one when I get my Mail Server up and running.

You try funding for these things when your parents won't pay for them

Chilling_Silence

Nope, they cost too much, and it's of small concern to me if my PC dies coz of a power outage. Most last only for a few minutes also running a regular PC dont they??? Have you tested to see just how long they do last??

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

mashimaro

Most of them will last 10 mins onwards depends on model, the point of having a UPS is during a power outage, you'll still have time to save all your work and shut down the PC normally, not to continue working, so 10 mins is more than enough for a average user.

UPS will protect your PC against power surge, fluctuations...etc. Those cheap so called surge guard will only protect when there's a sudden spike or high surge in the power line. However, they won't protect against slow surge, when power fluctuates and when power drops below the standard level.

When power drops below standard level, the PSU in your PC either works harder to provide the constant voltage to all the components inside the PC or it will just provide lower voltage to your PC components. Either way, you're putting stress on the PSU and various components.

I have seen power surges that have killed the whole PC apart from the floppy drive .. and the poor guys thot it was covered by the warranty which is not of course because warranty only covers manufacturing fault but not external damage by power.

cheers

Chilling_Silence

How much do most cost?

mashimaro

umm.. lowest one starts from $150 ? can't remember ... sorry

Billy T

Well, it's OK for you risk takers, but I wouldn't dream of doing any serious work without an UPS.

A good UPS conditions power as well as providing outage protection and the majority of outages are momentary, that is, just long enought to reboot your computer and lose your data.

Some of you guys will invest megabucks in your PC then leave it at risk to every incident on the power.

Not for me, all my PCs run with an UPS behind them and I have had two full outages in the last month (first was when a local transformer blew up and the second was the dreaded possum that took out the end of the NRL Grand Final).

Don't kid yourself that it will never happen!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

kiwibeat

My main PC is on a UPS definitely worth the cost 2nd hand under $200 retails for around $600

Graham Petrie

It is on the shopping list - I cannot afford one (can't afford not to I hear you cry?) I almost got one last year, but the funds were low, so I got the best surge protector money could by (protescts phone and network as well). It was $100 or so. I will be getting a UPS as sonn as funds allow, and definitely before I do any major upgrading.

G P

-=JM=-

I don't have one but I do want one.

Though I've got a very nice surge protector