Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ron_A

Default Can't read disks in A: Drive

Hi

We have a PC running WIN XP and a new A4-Tech optical mouse.
    The drivers on a 3.5 FD cannot be read in the PC's A: drive.
    Message along the lines that "..this disk needs to be formatted. Do you want to format?"
    Other floppies which have been able to be read in the past cannot be read either.
    The A: folder is readily viewable in Windows explorer but with no data showing.
    However on another PC, the data ican be viewed.

Can someone help with a solution please?

roofus

Default Re: Can't read disks in A: Drive

Get a new floppy drive. Will cost you about $30.
    Sounds like your present one, has crapped out. If your puter is still under warranty take it back to the dealer and get them to replace it.

CYaBro

Could also try a floppy disk head cleaning kit for about $10

Heather P

A small check before shelling out the cash. Take the lid off and check that the cables are all nice and secure - both ends

roofus

There won't be a need to take off the case, If there were problems with the cables, then either you would have no power, or your green light on the hard-drive would constantly be on, and it would not recognise anything. Windows wouldn't even advise you that a disk needs to be formatted.

Chilling_Silence

Not so... After taking our PC in for an upgrade, it worked for about a week, then after time i guess it just fell out, loose connection. Lights still went on and it even acknowledged that it was there, but it would say that. I'd have to agree with Heather P, Check your cabling, both ends. If its under warrant, and if you're not game enough, or just want to be safe, take it back ,or take it to a repair shop. Tell them what you think. They might laugh that you've given it your own diagnosis, but that seems the most likely cause.

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

roofus

yea, my mistake, there. For one i was meant to say that the A: light will stay on. And yes it is possible for the A:\ to still appear in windows even though it is still connected. However i don't think that it would come up with comments about needing to format the floppy disk

leshibbard

Have the same problem between my wife's Digital and my General, just as well she asks before doing the format part.

When wifes pc won't read the data on her floppies, I put them into mine and load whatever file and save it back, then it comes up on the Digital.

Try it.

It must be the age we live in, all mixed up !!.

Les 3

Chilling_Silence

Roofus:
    Mine came up exactly as has been described. I understand that all computer problems are not the same. However, what he is saying, and Heather P, is possible, I have witnessed it first hand. Than again, you could be right. I've replaced many floppy drives in my day!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Heather P

>>put them into mine and load whatever file and save it back, then it comes up on the Digital.

A vague memory stirs. Something about alignment of the heads. One a drive is out of alignment and the other slightly out perhaps?

As to the original problem:
    1. Eject disk
    2. Retry disk making sure it is firmly seated
    3. Remove case and check all cables are firmly attached
    4. Try disk again
    5. Swear
    6. Visit computer shop, buy new drive
    7. Install new drive.

Just had another thought - before doing the above enter your BIOS and check that the floppy drive is set to 3.5" and that it is set to read 1.44 Mb disks.