Smurf

Default Wanting to reformat from Windows 2000 to Windows 98

Trying to help a friend here. Problem seems to be that he is running Windows 2000 on a 486 machine and appears to be having all sorts of problems not the least of which is that it is pitifully slow. My question is is it possible and easy enough to reformat the machine using Windows 98 again. That is and I am familiar with reformatting a Windows 98 with Windows 98. Is the process the same when going back to an earlier o/s ?
    Thanks for your help.
    Smurf

godfather

Default Re: Wanting to reformat from Windows 2000 to Windows 98

Once a disk is formatted, it really doesnt know that you are loading an older OS on it.

I would suggest that 98 on a 486 is a big ask as well, perhaps 95?

Lohsing

Hmmm... not sure if it will work but this is what I do when I want to reinstall win98 without reformatting my HD...

1. Copy cab files from Win98 to C: ... to some folder (eg. Win98) Create this...
    2. boot to dos
    3. here are the commands to type...

cd windows

attrib -r -h -s system.dat

attrib -r -h -s user.dat

del system.dat

del user.dat

ren c:\progra~1 progold

ren c:\windows winold

cd\

cd win98

setup

There you go!! ... a few progs will not work once you shift your install over to Win98, and you will prob need to change your drivers etc...

When set up, you will have a new program files folder while retaining the old one (renamed progold) and also the windows 2000 folder will be winold.

Some programs will still work from Progold, and it's up to you to test them... if they do, then cut and paste them to the new program files folder, etc... leave the stuff you don't want and delete the progold folder.

Also, if you are using Outlook Express as your default mail reader, you can import those settings from the winold folder... go here to learn how to do that.

Once you've set it all up... run a defrag to clean up your disk... I've done this PLENTY of times, and it's a great way to reinstall a "fresh" copy of windows over your existing one without a startup disk, or cd-rom support.

Lo.

Merlin

Windows 2000 will not install on a 486 since the minimum processor is a 133. Check the machine next time.

Installing/reinstalling
    Read the FAQ - button top right - specifically 1 and 4.
    No sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Get a suitable OEM W98 style boot disk from here.

bk T

If you've installed W2K using NTFS then you may not be able to reformat your HDD straight away. You may have to use a Win98 boot disk to boot up your 486 then run fdisk, format and then run your Win98 setup.

good luck

bk

Smurf

Thanks for the help. It appears from your replies that converting back to Windows 98 is not such a big problem. As you have said..it seems that W2K on a machine with such a slow processor was asking a bit much.

BIFF

> Windows 2000 will not install on a 486 since the
    > minimum processor is a 133.

This is not true. As a true machochist I have installed 2000 Professional onto a 486 DX2/66 sucessfully.

tweak\'e

while its possiable to install w2k or w98 onto a 486...........WHY would you want to? with win95 it barely runs fast enough for net use let alone run bloatware.