Denfinn

Default Outlook Express Address Book

I have just undertaken a re-format of my harddrive and reinstall of Windows 98. In preparation I backed up the address book as a "WAB" file. After having successfully installed windows I do not seem to be able to import the "Wab" file and reinstate my contacts. We had outlook express 6 and immediately upgraded to the same version after the reinstall. Any ideas of how to over come this.

parry

Default Re: Outlook Express Address Book

Have you tried importing the address book (file-import)? Might be a bit late now but see here for info on backing up OE data for future reference.

Denfinn

After looking at your suggested site I may be too late??? When I did the original export the options allowed me to export as a "wab" - thought that this would also allow me to import a "wab" file - perhaps I was wrong - can I have any chance of overcoming this without having to simply learn for the next time??? Thanks for the response

Susan B

This is obviously why we need to test our backups prior to relying on a restore in case the backup doesn't work for some reason. I'm sometimes guilty of just paying lip service to this though.

I had no trouble copying my .wab file to a CD then back to the hard drive without fiddling with exports and imports. But there's only my identity on the machine and I use IE 5.5.

Would your backup be "read only" by any chance? That happens when files get moved back to the hard drive from the CD (assuming you backed up to CDs). Maybe that is the problem - I hope so.

Merlin

What is the error message or outcome after attempting to import?

parry

No I dont think all is lost. As Merlin says - any error messages? I see there is also a file wab.exe ... do a search start-find-files&folders and search for wab*.*

Double click on this file and see if you can import into it.