Thread: auto complete

Daniel

Default auto complete

Hi All
    I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some one out there can help me with.
    Firstly where does the auto complete function get its information from, I am aware of how to delete/modify entries I am just curious,
    also along the same lines, where are the dictionarys for word or outlook kept. my macine is a compaq presario running win xp pro with word 2002 (10.2627.2624)
    One last question. I have a folder called 'System Volume Information' which I am unable to access can someone tell me what it's for why I can't access it.
    I look forward to any replies.
    Dan

mark c

Default Re: auto complete

For a start 'system volume info' is going to be difficult to access to restrict fiddlers fiddling where they oughtn't.

Don't know about dictionaries, some database in Word I guess.

Autocomplete autocompletes what you've previously typed in the address field. You can turn it off in Internet Options (IE).

hope this helps......

godfather

For Sys Info folder details including how to access it, look here

Look for .lex files for the dictionaries, it may depend on your setup as to their location.

Daniel

Thanks for that information GF. It made it very easy to access and explained what the file was for.
    I find it very interesting that microsoft should go to all that trouble preventing access to this file when the registry is open for all to see and fiddle with, a far greater potential for damage I would have thought.
    On the subject of fiddling Mike If I pay $3000 + for a computer should I not expect it to be my computer and not have secret areas and files doing things I am unaware of and unable to access, we all know MS would like it that way, and of course there are files in windows I'm sure no one except the programmers knows about. If by fiddling (which I don't) I inadvertantly cause a problem then I shall simply reinstall the operating system or is that too simplistic a view of what is after all only a tool to be used in any way I see fit?
    Again thanks for the info.
    daniel

Daniel

Whoops sorry Mark not mike:8}