Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Chilling_Silence

Default OT - Copy-Protected CD's

Who reakons this is a good idea, and how long before somebody finds a way past it?

Is there a better method?

John Grieve

Default Re: OT - Copy-Protected CD's

Usually any new copy protection system is broken within 2 weeks nowadays and then full instructions and software necessary are available online as soon as for music, software and movies.

Its a vexed question made worse my most consumers perception in the case of music that $30 retail for a disc that takes $3.00 max to produce for sale is not a fair price.

I would say where the music industry is concerned they would be better to explore online distribution for peanuts before their whole market collapses. They could then distribute fairly priced CD's as a value added product.

While movies are readily available online for free and ripping DVD's is a breeze I personally feel movie distribution and copyright infringement is made very difficult by sheer file size and quality problems and expensive broadband. With DVD movies being fair value for money I don't see the movie industry being affected as much as the music industry will be if they don't change their ideas.

I very much doubt anybody will come up with a software based copy protection that will work. That means DRM and hardware based copy protection is inevitable in order to beat the "problem".

Chilling_Silence

True, but what about playstations and the Mod Chip, I don't have a PSX, but I understand its rather easy to do. I reakon they need to do online sales, that allow you to download a mp3 file of the song, and also a special key that will let you use the mp3 on any PC that has that key, so you can make a backup of that key... stuff like that. Thing is, I guess everything they try will have a weakness of sum sort!

bmason

I think you were refering to Music CDs, but I have to say I hate copy protected Game CDs.

It takes 4 - 6 mins for my crappy CD drive to get past Safedisk protected games, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr X-(

loser

> do. I reakon they need to do online sales, that allow
    > you to download a mp3 file of the song, and also a
    > special key that will let you use the mp3 on any PC
    > that has that key, so you can make a backup of that
    > key... stuff like that.

the problem with that sort of scheme is that you would be so limited in what you could do with the mp3 once you have downloaded it. In comparison, when you buy a CD, you can play it in your stereo, your mates stereo, your pc, your car etc..... say the mp3 dl's were protected like that and you wanted to take it to your mates house to show him this cool new band you discovered, what then?
    Unless say it came with the right to burn a copy of it for personal use in CD audio format, but then of course your mate can just rip your CD, and the whole exercise is a waste of time...

John Grieve

It's simple to mod a Playstation (both 1 + 2) and an XBox now but I feel the decision to "zone" games round the world was why the modchips were developed. All these people were trying to do was be able to play a game from any of the zones on the single console they could afford. I really doubt the chipping problem would be so bad if the consoles just played all the games out of the box.

And what you describe with the MP3 thing is exactly what is being developed right now by all the big players (Microsoft, AMD, Intel. The US Government etc). The problem with their way though is it will not be possible to copy or move the file you download and I would say thats going to cause some concern. It will also when enabled fully (IN SP2 for windows, in harddrives, in Windows Media Player, Realplayer, Winamp etc etc) kill any preexisting "copies" of anything on your drive. You will also find any copies you have already burnt to disc will not play on a PC with this new "protection" fully enabled on it.

tweak\'e

there will always be a way around it...eventually.

however the copyprotection means the cd's won't work on all legit drives.

the catch is will oe blocks buy new cd player just so they can play protected cd's....i doubt it.

tweak\'e

what is it with my typing tonight?

"the catch is will JOE BLOGS buy a new cd player so they can play protected cd's?"

Sam H

I think you will find there are already ways to get past copy protected CD's, I assume you are meaning the protections on software, games and audio CD's that supposedly prevent piracy. I think it's a very good idea for those wanting to prevent piracy of their products but with each new copy protection created it is not long before a way is thought of to get past it.

For example the new protections on audio CDs eg. Celiene Dions new album. It was found that after drawing with a black vivid around the edge of the disc it was able to be copied.

-=JM=-

There is always a way.

If prices were more realistic more people would purchase.