Graeme

Default Linux Mandrake 8.2 Install problems

I have a fairly new PC P4 2 GHz with Intel 845G motherbd and 80GB hard disk. I have XP pro installed and when I installed it I partitioned the first 60GB to about 7 different partitions, including 8GB FAT32 for sharing with Linux. I left about 20GB "unused" at the end of the disk to put Linux on.

When I installed Mandrake I used its partitioning tool to create some more partitions in the 20GB. I ended up with hda12 = root = 4GB ext3; hda13=swap=800MB ; hda14=usr=4GB; hda15=var=700MB; hda16=home=4GB. These were the names that Mandrake offered during install.

Are these partition sizes reasonable? What is usr for - I thought users went into the home partition. How do I find out the used space and free space in a partition in Linux. I might reinstall Linux if this should be done differently.

How do I install KDE. I didn't get offered the chance to actually install KDE or GNOME during the install.

Linux had a problem with my USB 2.0. It presented a list of "types" for me to choose one of - ohdc / ehdc or something, and then hung during the install (it warned me it might hang) - how do I find out what type of USB I have. Windows device driver info boxes give no indication of names like ohdc.

Graeme

bmason

Default Re: Linux Mandrake 8.2 Install problems

/usr contains stuff that isn't essential for the system to start up, and is where most of your programmes get installed.

Since its your first install I think you will find it simpler if you reduce the number of partitions.

I would go with:

/home - about 1 gb.
    swap - ???, I've got 256mb RAM so I don't use swap, 800mb is probably excessive but you've got the space.
    / (root) - everything else.

If you will be keeping most of your data files on your FAT partiton you won't need a particularly big /home partition and 1gb is probably overkill since it will be just your user.

re KDE:
    Its odd that it didn't prompt you since KDE is the default for Mandrake. You didn't say what you have currently installed, but you can install it manually using the Mandrake installer. I think its called "Software Manager" and will be on the desktop if you have one, otherwise in the main menu.

Graeme

I think I better do the install again and do what you suggest and hope it lets me delete and merge the partitions I created. Regarding KDE - I may have confused it by swapping between "expert mode" and non expert mode a couple of times during the partitioning because I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing - I have no desktop at all, just "console mode". I think it may have a problem with my "on board" Intel extreme Graphics too.

Thanks for the reply.

Graeme

b1naryb0y

Hi Graeme,

Firstly, in reference to the above post, DO NOT decide against having a swapfile - even if you have 256 Mb or more of ram.

Second, after logging in , try running "startx" to start xwindows. Mandrake may have installed KDE without you being aware of it.

Another good practice to get into is to have a small (5-10 Mb) /boot partition which is located before your other linux partitions. This can be extremely helpful when you decide to compile your own kernel and possibly have multiple kernels to choose from.

Bruce.

Graeme

startx aborts with fatal server error - fail to open dev/fb0 - no such something ....

I did actually allocate a 64MB partition at the end of the Windows partitions for a boot partition as I'd heard that was a good thing to do but I was puzzled as to what its purpose was - thanks for explaining.

Graeme

Graham L

Graeme: since you're not an expert yet, use the ordinary installation. Use Partition Manager to delete all the Linux partitions you have made and leave the area unallocated. Then let the installation script divide it up. Its settings will be good enough.

If you want to multiboot with XP ... have a look at that thread tonight too.

If you are not sure about the methods of multibooting, just use the boot floppy for Linux. That's the safest way there is. You must make that floppy anyway ...