Rod ger

Default Hard Drive backup

I'm a newbie to CDRW and want to backup my C:\ drive. Its under 950megs so I figure with a bit of a cleanup and compression I should be able to get it on one CD. I'm running Nero but am not totally familiar with it.

I can see lots of reasons that burning a zipped image would not work on a new HD after the present drive had failed. ie Do I have to reinstall Win98 and Winzip to access the backup? Will the backup overwrite the newly installed OS to restore my highly tuned system and eliminate unneeded files? I would prefer not to have to buy software if possible.

I have done a search on the old files but wasn't able to find quite the right answer.

Eraser

Default Re: Hard Drive backup

Hi.

August CD Rom off NZPC World mag has a bunch of back up utils

Make life easy for you.

Chow

Peter H

I use Nero "HD Backup" BUT - this backs up the entire HD, not just the files. I believe both Drive Image & Ghost are similar but use data compression. My C partition is 2.4gb and fits on 4 cd's, so unless you partition your HD - not knowing what size you have - you will need lots of cdr's. You can use the back-ups to revert to a stable system and if your HD fails, they will install on a new one - with provisos. The Nero help file is worth a read.
    Bye

Rod ger

Thanks Peter H,
    Yes I have a 1.6 Gig HD( only just enough spare space for a full CDs worth.)

How reliable is the backup, have you used it? The provisions sound a bit dire!

Peter H

Very reliable so far. I have used it on about 6 occasions with no trouble. Basicly, when I rebuild trhis thing - like new M/B processor etc -at each stage of installing the programs I do a back up - I used to use GoBack but too much HD activity under W98 - OK on W95. Anyway, just open Nero - Don't use the Wizard - click on Nero - bottom left - File - Burn HD backup. From memory don't do a test burn. Very easy to restore. Just make sure that your BIOS will boot from floppy first - have a start disc that lets you access your CD - enter E: or whatever your cd drive is & type "nrestore.exe." For 1.6 you will need 3 cd's
    Bye

Rod ger

Hi Peter H,
    Thanks for the reply,sounds what I'm looking for. My HD is getting a bit long in the tooth even for an IBM so I don't want to lose my system and all it tweaks I have accumulated over the years.