Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    nzwalkabout

Default XP 'My Documents' missing

I was tinkering around on my computer and the next time I started up, the 'My Documents' Folder was missing from under My Computer. The other Document folders are still there like 'Shared Documents' and other Users Documents, so how do I get 'My Documents' back? The OS is XP pro. I can't find this same topic elsewhere, so please help.

Graham Petrie

Default Re: XP 'My Documents' missing

First check that the folder still exists. If you haven't moved it, you should find it at C:\Documents and Settings\%YOURUSERNAME%\

If it is there, then you have just turned it off from displaying in My Computer.

You can turn it back on using tweakui. If you have tweakui, post back for instructions. If not, post back to let me know and I'll go from there.

G P

nzwalkabout

Yep, C:\Documents and Settings\%YOURUSERNAME%\ exists.

I haven't got tweakui (well i don't think i have it, its not under contol panel anyway). Whats next? ta.

Graham Petrie

Inside that folder will be your My Documents Folder.

I just realised that My Doc's usually isn't in My Computer, but only in the explorer bar on the side of explorer. The location of this folder is actually a shorcut on the desktop.

Restore the shortcut and the problem will be solved.

To restore it, right-click on the desktop and select properties.

In the window that opens, select the desktop tab and then click on the customize desktop button.

In the new window that opens, tick the box that says My Documents and OK your way back out of the windows to the empty desktop.

This should restore My Documents.

If it doesn't post back.

G P

nzwalkabout

On the desktop is no worries, but I actually prefer it in 'My Computer', I guess I am just used to it that way. Can 'My Documents' still be restored under 'My Computer'? Thanks Graham

nzwalkabout

Will Tweakui fix my problem? where do I get tweakiu?

Jester

Hi

I am not sure that Tweak UI will do what you want, however, you can get it for XP at the following site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp

J

J ZEP

Hi Nzwalkabout, i was thinking if its on your desktop and still in your start menu - start - my docs - desktop and click on it once and move it back to My computer. Or if not and you have found it in the place graham said - (C:\Documents and Settings\(your profile)\My Docs) click on it there once and move it back to My computer - However i don't know if you should move it out of the "docs and setting" somebody else may be able to advise if that will be o.k to do??? Is that what you were wanting?? I use xp home not pro but it should be pretty much the same.
    Hope that works! Probably through the start menu would be the way to try first if its there. :-)

nzwalkabout

My Documents is under the Start button, but it won't allow me to drag it into My Computer.

I was checking My Documents and there is a short cut to My Documents within this folder. I checked its properties and its target is My Computer??? maybe this is the missing short cut in the wrong location. But how do i get it under My Computer? It seems I can't just drag it there, does anyone know?

J ZEP

Well i can't think of anything else - i found a couple of articles but they referred to losing "Shared Documents" from there and it was a registry edit to get it sorted, so it is possibly along the same lines as that?. On my own computer - My Docs under "Files stored on this computer"??? in My Computer it isn't a short cut. It just seems to be the way the system is set up. Sorry i can't help! Maybe doing a Restore to before you did the tinkering might get it back??? If you want i can post the links to the imfo on losing shared doc's from there when i get home?