merlin-nz

Default Modems Internal vs External

Hi people,

Just looked at tricky Dicky's web site for prices of modems. Hell not much.)

I am now dual booting winblows and Linux (Mandrake 8.2), but having loads of problems trying to get on the net.

I have HP Pavilion 6700, with a internal coexant soft56K PCI Modem, ok for winblows but murder for a Linux box.

Question: Internal cause only one serial port on HP Pavilion 6700.
    without pulling the computer out I think the printer is parked in that spot, and dont want it in the usb.

So I suppose I really just answered my own question. It would have to be Internal. :8}

Hows these prices:

DSE Modem 56K External V2
    RS232 modem with Intel MD566X chipset. Provides a high performance V.90 solution delivering robust data, fax, and voice features - including full- duplex speakerphone! Shipes with Drivers, BitWare for Windows, power adaptor, phone and serial cables.
    $124.00NZ

DSE 56K Modem - PCI with Intel HaM chipset
    The DSE Internal PCI 56K Modem uses an Intel chipset with Host Accelerated Modem (HaM) technology to deliver superior performance - compatible with both Windows & Linux!
    $79.00NZ

cheers merlin-nz

godfather

Default Re: Modems Internal vs External

The DSE internal is little different to your existing one, so its frying pan or fire.

The external appears to be a hardware modem so should be better

The HP6700 does have 1 serial only, are you *sure* that your printer is using it? Most printers use the parallel port. True some use serial but not many these days, usb and parallel are most common.

Main question? are either supported by linux?

bmason

I'm using a Connexant HCF with Mandrake 8.0 (2.4 kernel) and it works fine with the drivers from
    http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/index.html

I found the earlier drivers were a bit buggy but my modem has only been supported for a few months. The HSF modems have been supported for quite a while.

Installation is fairly easy aslong as you haven't compiled your own kernel.

I doubt you would be any better off with the intel winmodem.

merlin-nz

Thanks guys,

Godfather what about in internal Dynalink 56K V90 PCI Modem.
    Are all internal no better than what I have.

InHouse Price :
    $70.20 (exc GST)
    $79.00 (inc GST)

Not a "Soft-modem"
    The Dynalink 1456VQH-R3 is not a "softmodem". The all-important data-pump, which handles the crucial aspect of transferring data from the Internet to your PC, is handled by a dedicated chip on the modem board. This increases stability, and decreases the work your PC has to do when compared to a typical soft-modem.

So what, I don't understand that, but if it's not a "softmodem" it's gota be a hardmodem.

So would that one do the trick.

And no I don't know if they are compatible with Linux, most of the time they don't say.

bmason,

thanks for your reply, but I did find out my kernal and visited a site to download the right driver or that kernal, but all I keep comming up with is "sorry cannot open modem".
    When I downloaded the driver I downloaded it to winblows and then got the Linux box running and copied it to a "Documents" folder and just clicked on it and followed the instructions, but not go.
    So if you think I have done some thing wrong or have any idea please let me know, cause I can't really aford a new modem.

And if I finally get onto the net from Linux I'll need help with the scanner and CD Writer.

cheers merlin-nz

godfather

The Dynalink is half-way between the 2, by the look of it.

It has:
    Conexant SmartHCF (TM) chipset, SmartDAA (TM) technology.
    Hardware based DSP, host-based controller.

The "host based controller" is the soft modem part, the DSP is the hard modem bit. Probably only marginally better than the soft modem, I would not have one on.

I believe it is not possible to buy (in NZ) a hardware modem in a PCI slot card, and your PC only has PCI slots.

Graham L

Have a look at the linmodems site ... www.linmodem.org ? you'll find it. That should have the latest information on known modems. (I doubt if DSE will be a known "manufacturer"). Read the HOWTOs ... you should have them installed, or you can find them on the CDs, or at the Dunedin LUG's mirror. You will find the information on using scanners and CDs there too. The scanner will need the sane package, and the GIMP.

bmason

> Not a "Soft-modem"
    > The Dynalink 1456VQH-R3 is not a "softmodem". The
    > all-important data-pump, which handles the crucial
    > aspect of transferring data from the Internet to your
    > PC, is handled by a dedicated chip on the modem
    > board. This increases stability, and decreases the
    > work your PC has to do when compared to a typical
    > soft-modem.

This is just a HCF modem like I have. Its part real modem, so it does have lower CPU usage than a HSF. But I've found it to have worse stability because its a hybrid.

As far as linux is concerned its still a winmodem. Basically there are no real PCI modems.

> bmason,
    >
    > thanks for your reply, but I did find out my kernal
    > and visited a site to download the right driver or
    > that kernal, but all I keep comming up with is "sorry
    > cannot open modem".
    > When I downloaded the driver I downloaded it to
    > winblows and then got the Linux box running and
    > copied it to a "Documents" folder and just clicked on
    > it and followed the instructions, but not go.
    > So if you think I have done some thing wrong or have
    > any idea please let me know, cause I can't really
    > aford a new modem.
    >

You will also need to configure it after you install it. Grab a copy of the install instructions from the same site.

> And if I finally get onto the net from Linux I'll
    > need help with the scanner and CD Writer.
    >

For your scanner look here:

http://www.mostang.com/sane/

But if its a parallel port one, give up.

Your CD-Writer should have been setup by mandrake, have you tried using it with something like, xcdroast, eroaster etc (all will be on your mdk cds).

Chris Wilson

About the Dynalink 1456VQH-R on linux

Been there done that, i was using redhat a couple of years ago, when i installed redhat, it went "o look a modem... shall we use it?" easy as!

Hopefully the 1456VQH-R3 is the same in practice as the 1456VQH-R

Actually i found redhat better at the plug & play game than 'doze ever was!