Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    sam m

Default Is this legal/possible?

I have recently purchased Windows XP Pro. I am about to do full install on my current machine running ME. For this machine I only have recovery disc.

Now.......I am about to buy 2nd hand computer with no OS for my girls. I will network eventually but as far as OS concerned. Can I install XP on my machine, purchase (or borrow?) a copy of ME and instal that on my girls computer and use the ME Key that I have stuck to the side of my computer to do that.

sam m

wuppo

Default Re: Is this legal/possible?

If you still own a legal copy of ME, you can itstall it on another computer, as long as you have it installed on only one computer at any one time.

sam m

thanks wuppo,
    I sort of get that part already but I guess I was really wondering about the other part. As I only have recovery disc for ME ( I am under impression that I can't use that to instal on the 2nd computer) can I borrow a copy of the full version of ME and use that disc to instal on my girls computer BUT use MY key to register?

is this possible?

sam m

wuppo

In my opinion, you have a licence to operate a copy of ME - that fact that you need a 'replacement' copy of the software doesn't matter, as long as the 'replacement' is the same version software your licence is for.

sam m

That sounds reasonable. I couldn't see any reason myself why this can't be done but I have never read any of the legal blurb about Windows so thought I would ask the masses to see if there was something I was missing.

thanks
    sam m

NathanTheKind

If you install another Windows ME you will need to use there KEY yours won't work

Tell me if I am wrong

kiwibeat

the key should work on any copy of ME same applies for 98 95 not sure about XP as that is activated and is machine specific .

gerardkean

You own a licence to use one copy of ME. The key words are "licence" and "one copy". The disk and machine are irrevelant. The disk also has no knowedge of which key that it's bundled with.

Having worked in a workshop. We would use one win98 disk for all machines and read the customers linence number through the plastic packaging. That way they would have a preinstalled OS and everything still nicely packaged.

nzStan

If your old PC has a Windows ME 'OEM' license, then you CANNOT install that copy onto another PC. OEM licenses stay with the PC you purchased it with. If you destroy the PC then the license is also destroyed with it. If you sell the PC, the license follows the PC to the new owner.

If you have a retail copy of Windows XP then you may transfer the license from one PC to another but, only one copy can be used (ie you CANNOT install it on two PCs and say that only one is running at any one time therefore its ok).

So in answer to your question -

1. You can install the XP pro on your 1st PC. Your ME 'OEM' license is no longer used (or made redundant - there is nothing you can do about it).

2. You can install the XP pro on the 2nd PC and continue to use ME on your 1st PC. But you cannot have two XP installed with only one license.

Hope that answer your question.

BTW - you can purchase XP Pro license and install an older version (eg Windows 2000) on your PC. That is allowed. But you cannot install XP using a Win2K license.

SoniKalien

If you don't tell I won't. Go for it.