Helen Catlow

Default Excel 97 Text Import file

Using NT 4.0 SP6 OS, I can install the text converters in Excel on two different computers. One will open text files in Excel using the Text Import file option; the other will come up with the following error message "Microsoft Excel. 'XXXXXXX.txt' cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location, Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding."
    This does not appear to be profile related as, even when two PCs are logged into when testing and both have the same user account, one will open the Text Import file option and the other will come up with the above error message.

parry

Default Re: Excel 97 Text Import file

Hi Helen, I presume both computers arent opening the text file at the same time, or the text document is open when trying to import?

Is the text file import an addin for Excel? I dont use that, I just choose File-Open and select the text file and the Text Import Wizard appears.

I presume the PC's can access the same file locations, as file access seems to be the problem.

Helen Catlow

Both PCs can access the file. Both PCs access the same network and have the same OS and files on them. Both PCs may be logged into by the same user with the same results by whoever logs in.
    Both PCs are not accessing the file at the same time.
    The file is saved in notepad format and is able to be opened from one Excel application using the Import Text file Wizard but the other PC won't open this way. This has occured with a number of tests we have done with different computers. It is as if the Text converter is not recognised by one PC yet is OK on the other. I need to know the file/s or dll/s that is causing the problem.

parry

mmm strange. So you can go File-Open, select the text file then the Import Text Wizard doesnt appear at that stage?

Select Tools-Options-General Tab and make sure that the "Ignore Other Applications" setting is not checked. This prevents DDE which is what import uses to exchange data.

Helen Catlow

When I go to File-open, select the text file the Import Text Wizard does not open - I get the error message instead.
    The 'Ignore Other apps" is not checked.
    Could this problem be a registry setting?

parry

Could be Helen. A reinstall of the Excel files may be in order. As another check, have you tried to import a different text file from another location? Should come up with the same error if the text import files within Excel are corrupt. :-)

parry

Just thought of another thing. You may want to check the NT permissions. In Windows Explorer right click on the folder where the text file is contained and select Properties-Security Tab-Permissions. See what the permissions are for that folder - should be Full Control or Change (RWXD).

Helen Catlow

I did a full reinstall of Excel - in fact, MS Office 97 with the text converter option selected.

Helen Catlow

As I use Novell, checked out user's access to files - all the same as other peoples'.
    Thanks for your help.

parry

I found this article in the MSKB which may be useful. See if this is the same problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q158283