Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    neway

Default opening page res//window/system/SHDOCLC.DLL/dn serror.htm error

Having lots of trouble getting on the internet, having to restart it every morning about 6 times before it comes right, really annoying. when I use Internet Explorer for the first time each morning it comes up in the status bar ' opening page res//window/system/SHDOCLC.dn serror.htm' and then the can't display page comes up. I tried Opera and you get the 'Could not locate remote server' error. I tried Netscape 7.0 and you get , 'Your address could not be found please check the name and try again.'

Can anyone help me please before i throw away the computer.

Wayne

John Grieve

Default Re: opening page res//window/system/SHDOCLC.DL L/dn serror.htm error

There is some confusion over this problem out there. Apparently at one stage MS acknowledged this was a possible bug in IE5 and IE5.5 and I expect they have attempted to fix it in IE6.

The most likely thing in my opinion is corruption of your Winsock by some scum spyware (Kazaa has been identified here).

Anyhow there are a variety of things to try in the following links to fix this some of which have been successful. Be very careful in your registry.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1010064155
    http://www.computing.net/windowsme/w...rum/23363.html

John Grieve

tweak\'e

i would be inclined to agree with john. try giving adaware a run through (needs to be latest ver) and check your host file.

it should have only

127.0.0.1 localhost

unless you are useing it to block websites.

do you have any adblocking programs? firewalls?

neway

Thanks, How do you check the Host file?

John Grieve

You should be able to right click on the hosts file then "open with" notepad.

neway

Sorry, where do I find the host file?

TGhost

C:\Windows is where the hosts file is. Or whatever it's called on your computer.

neway

Thankyou, that checks out ok, I have run the latest adware and it has taken out KazaA. we will see if it happens again. I run a program called 'no ads' and 'Blackice.' Thanks for your time, lets see what happens.

Gill

Well I'm grateful to stumble across this discussion last night as I was helping a friend with the very same problem! I had not understood much about Kazaa and spyware but after checking out John's links started to get the idea.
    Today it was simply a matter of removing programs such as Kazaa, B3d Projector, SaveNow, Winamp & New.dot.
    Had to also manually delete the folders from C:\Programs folder then reboot and everything was back to normal with Internet Surfing and Emails etc.
    A very pleased friend and a satisfactory outcome, so thanks for all the help
    Gill