Tats

Default Nvidia Drivers and Windows XP compatibility

Hi, I have recently installed XP Professional and am finding that my Geforce 2 Mx200 is not working as it should.

The OS detected and installed it ok however i cannot increase the resolution above 640x480 or increase colour bit rate past 8 bit. If i do i instantly get a black (instead or blue!) screen of death.

XP will only bootup under VGA mode also, under normal mode it locks up after scandisk phase.

I have tried the lastest drivers to no avail i.e 30.82 and 40.1 should i try a earlier driver as i note 40.1 has not been certified by Microsoft.

I have had no problems with the video card in the past is XP buggy with Nvidia cards?

Mike

Default Re: Nvidia Drivers and Windows XP compatibility

I have heard that Win XP has had some trouble with some NVidia cards, although I have never heard of it actually ever happening... until now. Try the latest stable Detonator realease (I think it's 30.80 or close to it)... otherwise take XP back and get your money back (sad alternative, but I have no other suggestions, sorry).

Mike.

FrankS

How old is the monitor? does it do the same with a fairly new monitor?. Had this problem some years back and the monitor was limited in resolution and bit range. Currently running XP Home, GEForce 2 MX 400/200 no problems.

JJJJJ

I have been using nvidia with XP for about three months without the hint of a problem. I installed the new nvidia drivers a couple of weeks ago and am more than pleased with both.
    Just a suggestion.Remove the nvidia drivers, re-boot and then reinstall them.
    Jack

JJJJJ

I have been using nvidia with XP for about three months without the hint of a problem. I installed the new nvidia drivers a couple of weeks ago and am more than pleased with both.
    Just a suggestion.Remove the nvidia drivers, re-boot and then reinstall them.
    Jack

valiantnz

Well I had a very simalar problem with my Gforce2 mx400. I have ME preinstalled on a compaq 5100 900 duron and certain games would crash in whatis called the infinte loop error. Only on XP and only with this compaq branded mx400. I ended up uninstalling XP in the end ( compaq supplied theXP upgade for my copy of ME) but their help desk could not figure the problem out. I gave up on that in the end as this system runs great with ME and I am a hardcore gamer who couldn't be bother with the compatibility issues of XP and older, not old, games. Crimson Skies was the biggest culprit. Since upgrading to a GF3 I reinstalled XP and had all options and tabs back in my display properties. Yet with the MX400 I had no display adlustment at all. I have seen this problem grow on other forums to including the compaq forum. with no one wanting to accept responsibility. I know of no solution except replacing the card or trying the manufacturer if the PC is still under warranty.

Tats

Just a bit more info for you:
    1: I have tried driver 30.82 (certified) after uninstalling prev driver and rebooting.
    2: I installed XP alongside 98SE on different partition, card works fine with (98SE.
    3: My monitor is a Viewsonic e771 (2 year old 17 inch)

Mzee

I am running ME, XP Home & Mandrake Linux 8.2 on the same machine using a Nvidia G Forcr 2 MX card. No problems, but I did have to look for a driver for XP. The built in driver worked but had no colour adjustments.