Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    davey80

Default jetstream/jetstart

Am I alone in not being satisfied with the d/load speed for Jetstart when using the likes of WinMX & kazaa? Today when I queried Telecom they politely referred me to their terms & conditions concerning operating as a server & asked me to desist(yeah right!!)
    Anyone know of any "special"settings or changes in say WinMX which will up the d/load speed from the averaging 3-4 I get with Jetstart?U/load speeds from me are Ok & all other types of d/loads - files music samples from web sites are fine.It's just the music swap sites that are slow.
    Any suggestions appreciated
    Dave S

GaryK

Chris Wilson

Default Re: jetstream/jetstart

Theres a wee rumour going around that telecom are deliberatly restricting traffic on the ports these programmes use...

On cable i get either pathetic d/load speeds, or 14kB/sec (about all i can expect with 128Kb/sec connection), so i conclude that the restriction is the other end...

There will be little you can do to speed this up, other than change ISPs, although there is a setting that allows multi stream d/loads or some such in win mx, which provides a messy work around to such restrictions. I had it pointed out to me by someone in a similar situation to you.....

good luck
    Chris

sam m

I use jetstart and Xtra is my isp. I regularly use kazaalite for d/loading without a problem. I will at times get d/loads at 2Kb and then i can also get d/loads at 13Kb and this can vary during the same d/load. Right now I am d/loading a video music clip and right now it is sitting at 8Kb. I have used morpheus, kazaa, winmx and the results are all the same. I have concluded that p2p is a bit of a lottery. As I have at times been able to d/load at full speed and at others the speed is pitiful then I can't see how Xtra can restrict speed. If they were then wouldn't the speed be slow all the time? What I find is that as soon as I find someone that allows d/loads at full speed then I search their share files and have a field day. ( Make sure you send them a thank you note as well)

sam m

Chris Wilson

sam m,
    may be it's just an urban myth......
    i love being proven wrong for the betterment of us all

Cheers
    Chris

davey80

Thanks for the replies Yoú've all been helpful.Dave

Peter Coleman

In fact,it's not a myth.Telecom have admitted,late last year,that they do undeed strangle P2P sites,as they say these hog the bandwidth for other users,so they slow them down to about 56K speed or slower,to discourage people using them.Also there is nothing you can do to get around this as it is done at the ISP,so you can't bypass it.

Peter

Chris Wilson

bugger i was right.....
    but there is a fight back...
    the same link as aboveshows how changing port nimbers can bypass the bypasses....
    The only problem with that is that if there is a quiet war between people trying to get service out of thier ISPs and thier ISPs which involve (mis)using every available port, then soon we'll have a network full of noize, and not the kind we want to download either

sam m

Hey Chris,
    Most urban myths have some degree of truth in it........but I don't like to contribute to it's distribution without analysing and finding out the validity of comments rather than "I heard it from the brothers best friends uncles sister in law"

On the subject of d/loading tho.... I have read in some of your other posts that you freely distribute files.... I have family overseas that I want to share some files with but not sure how to let them have access. I have put them onto to the same program as I use "kazaalite" but dont know how to work that so they can d/load directly off me. I have tried to use msn file sharing but that never works (he uses windows 2000). I am on dsl, he is on dialup. Along the same lines as the original question about how to get the d/load speed faster, How can I upload a file to him directly to his computer? I know he will be limited by his dial up connection but at least it will be clean ( I always virus check) and at his maximum speed. This may help me understand file sharing more and also allow me to connect to other friends on dsl (sorry dont know anyone on cable) to share files.

thanks
    sam m

sam m

now d/loading at 11Kb using kazaalite

still not convinced otherwise they haven't found me.

*shhhh* don't tell please.

sam m