Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jacobdouds

Default the installation to end all installations

Hers a challenge, every anti-virus you install conflicts with one other during installation and asks wether you would like to uninstall it.
    Most, you can continue with, but
    PC-cillin conflicts with Norton, and won't install with it there.
    Does anyone know a way a can trick it so i can install them both?
    For example, does uninstalling Norton, installing PC-cillin, and reinstalling Norton work? or will norton also refuse installation?

Lohsing

Default Re: the installation to end all installations

Why the heck would you want 2 different anti-virus progs when one is fine? It's like wanting 2 tyres for a unicycle... you only need one.

jacobdouds

2? what are you joking? I have 8.

No, seriously, i collect programs, my current project is anti-viruses.

Im not stupid enough to have all their auto protects running, I only 'use' norton.

But I uninstalled norton, and then pc-cillin complained about mcafee, its a never ending spiral, so ill leave that one out.

Heather P

If you're living in paranoid fear of viruses the best thing to do is back up regularly and keep your disks off site.

You are more likely to have a hard drive failure than contract a virus if you use one decent anti-virus program, install OS updates and keep your eye out for virus like symptoms (eg 2 emails from the same source at the same time, a love letter from the boss, an email telling you to install a program to prevent problems...)

Heather P

Give up. Collect stamps.

Graham Petrie

There are much better things to collect than useless apps you a) never use, and b) clutter your hardisk and make you PC unstable.

If you have to collect something digital, make it mp3's or jpegs or something. Collecting programs is loony!

G P

jacobdouds

im not paranoid, and all collections are loony to someone, this is what ive choosen to collect, would you like to hear what ive already stored up on this computer? no, so, just answer the question if you may, but ive given up on that, ill just hold the install file for it.

Terry Porritt

If you want a second AV, why not try the dos based F-Prot?
    You can fit the program and signature files onto 2 or is it 3 floppies to disinfect a computer from the write-protected floppies. The program and updates are free, and it can also be run from your C: drive preferably in pure dos, but also from a dos window. It's purely manual, but offers a second line of defence.

Either:http://www.f-prot.com/index2.html
    Or ftp://ftp.complex.is/
    Also available a version for Linux.

jacobdouds

yes ive seen this one around but havn't got it yet, thanks for been supportive to my collection, and it will be my: 8th, im slowing filling it up, I still need
    panda
    sophos
    and pc-cillin installed
    and a couple others around

Graham L

This was a reasonable question. It is sensible to have a number of programmes which do "the same thing" in different ways. You want to use only one at a time, but you should be able to install the damn things.

The reason could be that the manufacturers assume that all users are incompetent fools. They might even be right. ;-) Running two antivirus programmes at once is likely to cause problems. And they find the level of "support" they provide costs enough without having users who work on the principle "if one is a Good Thing, then two or three must be a Much Much Better Thing".

I've got a good collection of programmes too. I've got a pretty good collection of Operating systems. And computers ... But I've never collected stanps. Or phonecards. Tastes vary.