Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fritz

Default Flat Screen Monitor

I am thinking of buying a Philips 109P 19" Flat Screen Monitor; - not too sure if I am doing the right thing. Would like to get a few opinions on that particular monitor. (also on Flat Screens generally). I can't help wondering if a flat screen is really that much of an advantage compared to a normal Cathode Ray Tube. Would be very grateful for some comments. - Thanks

godfather

Default Re: Flat Screen Monitor

A flat screen is a "normal CRT", just a slightly more expensive process to make the front of the tube flatter.

A 19" will probably have a support wire across it to support the shadow mask, but that is never a problem, all large high quality CRTs do. Barely visible.

They are better to use, but only marginally. Philips monitors are (in my opinion) very good. I have a Philips LCD monitor - now that is flat!

fritz

Thanks Godfather for your comments on Flat Screen Monitors, - much appreciated. Not too sure about LCD screens, - I like them, but find them a bit too pricey.

kiwibeat

Flat is better more expensive though avoid LCD screens as refresh rates are slower if you are into gaming all monitors will come down in price as newer models come out so delay as long as possible if cost is important

blondie

There was another discussion about monitors recently, here is the link

fritz

Thanks for the link blondie, now I am really confused (only joking). I think I'll go for the Philips 19" 109P monitor. By the way, I wanted to insert a smiley face, but don't know how to, - someone let me know please - thanks.

godfather

when replying click on the "emoticons" link just above text entry area. They show the characters needed for each face - easiest to copy and paste the characters (NOT the face) :-)

fritz

Thanks kiwibeat, I used to be really keen on LCD screens, but have gone off them. As you say they have got a few disadvantages apart from the high price.

Susan B

> Thanks for the link blondie, now I am really confused
    > (only joking). I think I'll go for the Philips 19"
    > 109P monitor.

Find a shop that has them on display with other monitors and have a really good look at one. Especially with a light coloured background displayed on screen. That's when you can see whether the screen is "grainy" or not.

> By the way, I wanted to insert a smiley
    > face, but don't know how to, - someone let me know
    > please - thanks.

Just type a colon : then a hypen - then a right bracket ) without any spaces between them. :-)

fritz

Thanks Godfather,
    :-) :-) :-)