Just_wondering

Default >> nothing will run... jvlt".exe required

My friend's computer comes up with a message to the effect of...
    The file jvlt".exe is required to run this program... whenever she runs _anything_ on her Win98 machine... and the dialogue box asks her to locate the file (which of course does not exist)...

The only exception to this is when she runs ie5.5... which launches successfully.

I have searched using Google and Symantec (in the belief it is a virus) but have had no luck. Any help would be much appreciated

honeylaser

Default Re: >> nothing will run... jvlt".exe required

have you tried running a virus scan? you can do that free from http://housecall.antivirus.com

Just_wondering

Darn good idea... I tried several times to run an on-line scan last night but the computer kept crashing while it was loading up the scan info... 'tis indeed a worry...

Peter Cox

This is almost certainly one of the many varieties of the worm W32.yaha. One of the actions that it carries out is to change the file association for file type Application from (EXECUTABLE) to, in your case, jvlt".exe so that every time you try to run an application it says it requires that file, which probably doesn't exist on the system except in the registry. Do a Google search for W32.yaha readup on it, but do it on an uninfected system as it will spread if you go on line from the infected one. The main difficulty with removing this one is trying to run REGEDIT.EXE. You have to copy regedit.exe to regedit.com and then run it from a DOS command line. The instructions are on the Symantec website for all versions of w32.yaha.

HTH PC

Just_wondering

Yahoo! (or should I say "Yaha") Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'll give it a whirl (I went to Symantec.com for instructions)... Those virulent viruses... I won't get a chance to try this until the weekend, but will keep you informed

Just_wondering

You were spot on! It was a Yaha variant... Cheers for your help