Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HTML Editors

mejobloggs

Default Re: HTML Editors

It was about 6 - 7 mb

-=JM=-

The GIMP is a very good graphics editor. As are PaintShopPro, PhotoShop, and the CorelDraw collection.

E.ric

One problem when you right click your HTML file and send-to Notepad, is, when the file size gets too big Wordpad will take over from Notepad, that is not the problem, but however as you are writing and saving the HTML file, closing and opening again, and it is getting bigger and bigger, just before the HTML file is big enough to activate wordpad it will still be opened with notepad, at that sate you can only add about 10 characters or so to file before the notepad complains and says something like "not enough memory" it really bugged me when I discovered the problem I thought my computer had a virus or something.

But there are programs that do not have a file size limit like Notepad, and they are free,

MetaPad 3.5 (mpad35.zip download size is 45K), MetaPad is a small and fast http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/

Notespad 8.0 (ntspad32.zip .97 Meg in file size.) Notespad has a spell checker a lot of free text editors do not have. http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html

Graham L

That could be a good reason to use Notepad. ;-) Small pages are an excellent idea, and 64k should be big enough for anything sensible :-)

-=JM=-

I totally agree Graham. Webpages should be small and quick to load. With options for any large material.

Graham Petrie

Thanks E.ric - that is interesting - will save me the frustration of it happening to me.

I have started using 1st page 2000. The only thing I really dislike about it is the HTML tidy. It is an adaption of the w3.org one, except it automatically changes your code. What is required is a step by step confirmation process kind of like a spellchecker so that you can ignore any "fixes" you dont want it to do.

Other than that it seems quite good.

I have just discovered the ImageReady module of Adobe Photoshop (I new I had it, but didn't know what it did) It is excellent for creating image maps and then exporting the image and the map code to a html document. I can then cut and paste the code into my working document, and hey preto! instant image map!

G P

Graham Petrie

**Tells self always to spell check!!**

Knew, not new.
    presto!, not preto!

Elwin Way

> I totally agree Graham. Webpages should be small and
    > quick to load. With options for any large material.

A good example would be here. Incidentally, for those who asked about style sheets, the entire layout, formatting and design was set by CSS. Even the navigation bar at the top is defined by CSS. It's all about using your imagination

If you want to view the CSS to see how it was done, just right click in the frame, view source, and there you will see at the top the path to the CSS. One is called nav.css and the other is main.css

E.ric

> That could be a good reason to use Notepad. ;-)
    > Small pages are an excellent idea, and 64k should be
    > big enough for anything sensible :-)

I disagree with that, I have a list of New Zealand television sets of the web with make, model. chassis types and other information, it is getting to be a 90K or more, about over 30 pages if you printed it off, I have seen shorter list like 20 pages of information that the size is more than twice as big.

Anyway the point is once it starts to download you can start reading, while you are doing that it is finishing to down load, then you can go off line,

Were as the other option would be to go from page to page to page ........ and there would a time when you finished reading one page and waiting for the next page to download, sometimes it is a waste of time waiting for the next 10 results all the time when you can get all 60 results in one hit.

Can you follow that? Because I'm lost now, I think?

Mike

> I disagree with that, I have a list of New Zealand
    > television sets of the web with make, model. chassis
    > types and other information, it is getting to be a
    > 90K or more, about over 30 pages if you printed it
    > off, I have seen shorter list like 20 pages of
    > information that the size is more than twice as big.
    > Were as the other option would be to go from page to
    > page to page ........ and there would a time when you
    > finished reading one page and waiting for the next
    > page to download, sometimes it is a waste of time
    > waiting for the next 10 results all the time when you
    > can get all 60 results in one hit.

No, people get frustrated when waiting for a big page to load. Perhaps split it into categories, year, size, make, whatever to simplify it, or just split it into page by page - I know I much prefer things that way. And provide a search.

Mike.