Danielbong

Default What is a good digetal camera that can be used as a webcam/normal camera?

I was wondering what is a good digital camera, that can be used as a webcam (not important) & that can have a film put in it to take photos.

also whats a good memory size for it?

(i know little about cameras, bit bout computers)

godfather

Default Re: What is a good digetal camera that can be used as a webcam/normal camera?

> I was wondering what is a good digital camera, that
    > can be used as a webcam (not important) & that can
    > have a film put in it to take photos.

Many digital cameras can connect as webcams, but as they are primarily made for high resolution cameras the file sizes are only then suited to broadband connections each end.

digital cameras do not use film. Thats the point of them, they store the picture in memory for downloading and viewing or printing out.

Minimum resolution for good reproduction probably starts at 1 megapixel, with 2 megapixel being common. Newer models go to 4 megapixel and above but 2 give excellent results.

A 1200x1800 pixel photo (2.3 megapixel) file is about 500kB in compressed size, or 6.3Mb uncompressed.

8 Mb memory holds 16 photos in normal mode, more at lower resolution or higher compression.

I use 32 Mb memory cards, about 60+ photos at normal or 400+ at lowest setting.

For web use you are better off to buy a $75 webcam

As far as what digicam, your budget will decide....I use Fuji MX2700

Danielbong

Default Re: What is a good digetal camera that can be used as a webcam/normal camera?

a friend at work's friend has one, it can take film as well.

thanks for the other info.

can u get a larger memory later?

godfather

mine has no internal fixed memory - you buy what you want. it came with 8 mb, I run several 32 mb cards. they slide in. never seen one using film as well apart from intrchangeable body high end ones

Danielbong

so you are saying i should get a webcam seprate from my digetal camera?

thanks godfather for all the help!

godfather

A good digital camera is a lousy webcam
    A good webcam is a lousy digital camera.

Even at lowest resolution, a good digicam frame will be far to large in file size to be able to be sent over the web unless each end have a broadband connection.

If a camera has a small enough filesize, it will probably be poor for a digicam.

Another issue is that the higher resolution goes the more light is needed.
    Webcams operate fine in low-light (room lighting) but high resolution cameras need more light.

If you are 0only going to take 640x480 pixel photos you could combine them - but will be disappointed at the photo results.

Danielbong

thanks for telling me what i needed to know.