PJPNZ

Default iPaq Screen Orientation

I have an iPaq 3730. Is it possible to change the screen orientation from vertical to horizontal to make spreadsheets, etc easier to read?

Thank you.

godfather

Default Re: iPaq Screen Orientation

I have a Toshiba e570, similar to the iPaq
    No inbuilt function to my knowledge. Only one application (third party) loaded has it, but it only runs in that application (PocketTV)

Often thought it would be useful, but then so would portrait mode on my desktop LCD monitor - but I would have to buy the software for that as well..

Heather P

Turning the monitor on its side hasn't helped?

godfather

Yes, helps but having to lie on the desk to view it is a pain.......

Philips provided pivot software as a demo, but expect you to buy it after 30 days or it stops.

Susan B

> Yes, helps but having to lie on the desk to view it
    > is a pain.......

Why do you need to lie on your desk when you can use your nice comfy couch? The monitor is big enough to see from the other side of the room - all you need is a cordless keyboard.

Or just move the couch closer.

Then again, maybe you'll get so comfy you'll fall asleep...

godfather

Hmmm but cordless keyboards wont work via a KVM I suspect. Cordless mice dont.

But, Susan, for use on the couch I have a laptop (no...not SWMBO) and a longer network cable. Quite useable.....prop it up on your knees, keeps them warm as well.

Susan B

> ... I have a laptop .... Quite useable.....prop it up on your knees...

Until you fall asleep. *clunk* :O

Gee sorry PJPNZ, didn't mean to hijack your thread like this. It just happened.

godfather

Can also use the Toshiba handheld, it has to connect via USB though so need to leave my main PC running. Smaller "clunk" when falling asleep.

Graham L

Pat: It looks as if the consensus is: "We don't know". :-(

However, I have had a quick look with google (iPAQ landscape") and found references to a keyboard extender cable so the "iPaq can be put on its side and placed in landscape mode when typeing" with an external keyboard. That looks as if it is possible.

A good place to look: a google page found by google

PDAsmart

Yes you can, but it is not something for the lighthearted. Microsoft do not have it as a Pocket PC specification, but HP do have a utility in their Pocket PC's. You can find details at http://www.pocketpcmag.com/Jan01/pvhoriz.stm Note that if you use this utility it will be permanently rotated, you can't toggle backwards and forwards.
    Otherwise the best you can do is zoom out, but of course everything gets smaller. You can also select Freeze Panes from the view menu which lets you keep the names of your rows or columns while evrything else moves. You also have the option of splitting the screen vertically and horizontally just like you do on your desktop.
    Some 3rd party applications include the ability to rotate the view, for example Pocket TV lets you view in wide screen mode with a 90 degree rotation.