ahoundau

Default HP 5200C Flat bed scanner

i went to start my scanner the other day, and a message came up to say that it wasnt avalible - ? being used by another application...?? this is the same message that appears when it is not plugged in or has gone to sleep

i unplugged the scanner and plugged it in - what seems to be the normal procedure to wake it up - no change

checked that the parallel cable was connected - ok both ends
    checked the scanner power cord - plugged in both ends, and lamp illuminated
    checked the software - still installed and device listed as working correctly under control panel- system - device

but still no joy.

next i un installed the soft wear rebooted, reloaded, rebooted and still the same "inuse message"

next - closed down all other applications including all background applications and then tried to run scan - no change

? any ideas?

cheers ahoundau

Graham L

Default Re: HP 5200C Flat bed scanner

This is a parallel port scanner ... Have you got any other devices (such as a printer) on the same port? Make sure that the port is set to appropriate mode in the BIOS (ECP, EPP --- it can be critiical).

If you have other devices on the port, post with the details of them.

ahoundau

nope there is nothing else running off the parallel port from the pc or via the scanner - it was working fine, then suddenly one day its not interested, every thing seems tickety boo, but when i start the scan software it happily announces that the scanner is being used by another application would i like to wait or run the software with out the scanner????

cheers ahoundau

Graham L

I'd have a good look for anything (printer driver) which might be grabbing the interrupt. That wil cause this problem. Any programme which might use a printer is suspect (can you try not loading any such?)

Graham L

Addenda: If you have a printer driver installed, change its port to be LPT2, so it can't collide. you don't have to have an LPT2 to do this.