Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    tweak\'e

Default off topic- what did you think of ........

tonights target? sparkies in the dog box again ?

Terry Porritt

Default Re: off topic- what did you think of ........

Well, if 4 out of 4 registered electricians carry out illegal shoddy work with no certificates of compliance, then I may as well do my own illegal work 'n' times better than they could ever do and save myself a packet too

Terry Porritt

Oh, I forgot, under the older regs, 1976, "No plug socket shall be installed in any bathroom, except that provision may be made for the use of electric shavers only........"

I presume newer regs allow this if the socket is fitted with a residual current device, but one of these fitted was a new FAULTY one, so much for Quality Control (again see?) by the manufacturers.

It has been not unknown for people to have electric fires balanced on the bath edge to keep them warm while having a bath, now if you have a faulty RCD....

Poppa John

Am glad I am retired & out of it. This is the second time we have been clobbered at least. It doesn't say much for the Trade. I don't mind the programme content but find the condecension a bit wearing. As if they are experts at everything, nobody is, although I came close to it !! I am a very modest ex-sparky as you can see. Brilliant Poppa John :8}

godfather

There are a set of "zones" in bathrooms that dictate what can be fitted where.

RCDs are needed, but in some zones not even those are allowed.

Its all covered under the ECPs, but they are shortly to be replaced by AS/NZS 3000:2000. But lets not go there...

tweak\'e

kinda reminds me of a certain importer who brought a line of electrical goods in that had the phase and neutral wires back to front. it was a standard moulded lead which fits all sorts of goods so all they had to do was replace the lead. but no they just put a sticker on it saying that it had to be used only with that applaince. one way to get around the regs. no doubt those leads will be used on something else......

Billy T

Sorry tweak'e

That story is probably an urban myth. No amount of labelling can get around that one. The colours for flexible cords are laid down in Regulation 71 of the 1997 Electricity Regulations.

Phase is open to choice but neutral must be black or light blue and earth must be green or green and yellow. Therefore it is not possible to (legally) transpose phase and neutral.

Interestingly, the choice of phase or "active" colours for single or multiphase fixed wiring is open to all choices other than black, green or green & yellow. (Source NZS 3000:1997)

Incorrectly coloured flexible cords are illegal under all circumstances.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

tweak\'e

mmmm.....not according to a tech mate who came accross them. it may be because its a 2 wire lead for double insulated devices. i don't know on the law side but my mate was not impressed when he saw it.

codegirl

my boyfriend is a sparky, and we both watched target last night. He was totally hacked off by it, as it basically put down the whole electrical industry. I can understand there are "cowboys" out there, but hey the program only showed 4 (?) different companies, so why basically say that the whole industry needs to assess their procedures.

I also agree with the comment made above, how can that guy know everything? Is he trained in every industry?

Billy T

Hi tweak'e

Your mate probably didn't understand the Regulations any better than the electricians did on Target last night. Mind you, Target were off beam a bit on the RCD testing too because despite the obvious flaws, functional testing by pushing the button is currently recognised by officialdom as acceptable. Costs of compliance are always an issue and compulsorily requiring everyone in the industry to buy an RCD tester at $2000 would not be considered appropriate.

I have some sympathy for that argument, but it is real easy to make a plug-in RCD tester that at least checks that there is a sound earth connection and that the device will trip at the rated threshold current. For a 30mA trip current a 6.8k resistor between phase and earth inside a 3pin plug will do the job, though obviously it won't tell you the trip time.

Me? I'm a unrestricted EST (one of the old RS/RES types) and frequently work with electricians. I carry all the necessary electrical test equipment because they often turn up with nothing more than a set of Duspols and a tool belt. I've even had guys turn up in an empty van without even a tool belt, God knows what they thought they were going to achieve with a wheelbrace and jack ?:|.

Of course Duspols are the Swiss Army knife of the electrical industry. There's nothing you can't do with Duspols, you can do brain surgery, repair computers, remove Boy Scouts from horses' hooves, check your credit balance on line or even deliver a baby with the Duspol wonder tool. Some electricians even use them to see if a circuit is live before they work on it.

Actually, you can probably functionally test an RCD with one too if they draw enough current on test, and if only they knew how. S'magic y'see, the little button pops if sumfink ain't rite.

Before I get flamed or fried by some of our electrician contributors here, I'm not being derogatory about electricians in general, I work regularly with very good tradesmen and have the highest respect for the electrical trade overall, but I am taking the pi** out of those who do not take safety seriously, and those who lack the professionalism to equip themselves with adequate test equipment and tools.

For example, bolted connections to switchboard busbars must be adequately torqued to ensure a safe connection but in the last six years I have only once seen an electrician use a socket wrench to do this. The rest used pliers and mangled the nuts in doing so. Maybe I was unlucky and picked a biased sample just like Target did eh!

Anybody know what current a Duspol draws at 230 volts? Must Google it and see.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)