Thread: CD Writers

nzgoddess

Default CD Writers

Hi could someone please inform me if I can use two cd writers on one computer I am having mine replaced as it is faulty, I placed a CD writer in the faulty one and have found out that the new computer has a CD writer as well. I found having two drives, my cd drive and my cd writer drive much easier to copy between the two. The new computer has only the one drive the Cd writer, can I put the other cd writer in my new computer and work the two cd writers together like I was with my faulty machine. I would appreciate all answers and complications if any that people could see arise.

Regards Sue

tweak\'e

Default Re: CD Writers

ok take a deap breath and explain all that slowly ;-)

i like systems to have a cd drive as well as a cd writer. cd drives are cheap so use it for most cd readng and use cd writer for cd burning only.

you can use two cd writers but that is overkill.

nzgoddess

thanks for your reply

So you are saying that I don't need it and I can still do the same with just one while copying. I just don't want to waste $400.00 lol.
    I basically don't want the hassle of having to save all data onto my hard drive. When you say over kill.. please explain
    regards Sue

godfather

tweak'e is correct, in that you CAN fit the new computer with a second CD Writer, used as a plain CD drive. You CAN read from it, to write to your CD Writer.

He means that having a second CD Writer is more than you need, (overkill) as all you need is a cheap CD drive (reader only) as a second device to allow copying.

If you can buy your new PC cheaper with just a plain CD drive (not a writer) then you could fit your existing CD Writer in it.

Either way, plan on having 1 CD for reading (yes, it can be a writer) and 1 CD for writing.

tweak\'e

it would pay to explain a little better on what you are asking. relly hard to understand your situatiion (but its also sunday and i'm low on coffeee ;-) )

firstly there is a difference between a cd drive and a cd writer. the cd writer is costly eg $400 but a cd drive (reads cds only dosn't burn them) is cheaper eg $90.

having 2 cd writers is 'overkill' ie you don't need 2 cd writers. 1 cd writer and 1 cd drive is fine.

hope thats a little clearer.

boom23

And in the futuer, it's better to have dvd-rom and cd-writer combination. Use dvd-rom as a normal cd-rom. nowdays dvd-roms only cost from $120-$180 and cd-writers cost as low as $120-$400. As you can see dvd-roms prices are almost identical to cd-roms prices.

Chris Wilson

Just as a matter if interest, what is the brand of the one that is being replaced because it is faulty??????

nzgoddess

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for your reply...
    Yes I do come off a bit blonde at times and yes maybe I have this time as well.. lol.
    I have a compaq.. one that I received when applying for a course, so didn't get a choice of brand.. sadly.. I have had over 18 months of trouble with the damn thing... almost everything has been replaced, ie cpu unit motherboard and hard drive... it has been a long battle, but finally compaq is going to replace it........... i have gone online and read a few scary stories about compaq computers and their customer service, also the many faults and problems that people have had with them.
    I am still waiting (3 weeks) for my replacement so i guess time well tell as to when they decide to get it together and send me a new one. I am constantly harassing them. To date the replacement still is sitting in Australia. so I have been told I have another weeks wait.

We do have two computers in the house and the other one has a dvd drive and no copier so i could swap them over and place a cd writer in that one I guess..
    Regards Sue

Chris Wilson

mmmmm.. compaq