Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Terry Porritt

Default Corngate, appalling ignorance...

I know this is a bit off topic, but it is science related.
    Is anyone else absolutely horrified at the appalling ignorance of politicians, TV interviewers and the media generally at the almost total ignorance about statistical sampling, concepts of confidence level and uncertainty of measurement?

We are supposed to be in an educated age for gods sake, and yet the level of basic maths and science amongst people aspiring to lead us would seem to be going fast down-hill.

There I've got that off my chest!

Baldy

Default Re: Corngate, appalling ignorance...

What are you trying to say Terry?

I think the consensus is, there were no GE crops planted.....

I think that the Greens knew about this book for a long time (the publisher is a Green list candidate) You only had to see Fitzsimmons reaction. If it was the first she knew about it, she would have been absolutely beside herself with rage - not as calm as she appeared..... Oh, and wasn't it strange that the next morning, the Greens had plastered corncob stickers over Labour Party election hordings. I am a signwriter and it would take at least 24 hours to even set up the computer program - let alone computer generate, distribute and plaster the corncobs on th hordings.

I think there are far more important things to worry about in this country, then GE. Half the population are more worried about how they are going to buy the food - let alone worry if it has been Genetically modified.

BALDY

Heather P

As far as I can see grafted plants were the start of GE. Take a good rooting system and graft the nice tomatoes it to. End result - plenty of nice tomatoes.

Shall we now ban grafted plants?

GE means attending to such things before birth rather than after it.

Agreed great care has to be taken to prevent disasters and thus the need for really good controls but the way the media has been playing it any sort of GE - or grafting - will instantly create monsters that will destroy the earth.

Where is the common sense in all this? Ah, I forgot, it's politics and jounalists trying to sell papers.

Terry Porritt

It's the ignorance of interviewers and politicians rather than the GE thing itself that bothers me.

Just think a moment, 5 tons of seed, how many seeds is that?

The only way to be 100% certain whether they "conform to requirements", is to measure every one. Each of those measurements also has it's own uncertainty of measurement.
    Now whether they're seeds or nuts and bolts, or car parts, the principles are the same. Sample inspections are made and immediately we are into statistics.

The media only want black or white yes or no , and thats the way politicians think too, with the odd exception.

Heather P

The trouble with this one is that anyone who disagrees with the result can promptly claim "conspiracy" which then needs it's own statistics to define.

If Helen Clarke anwered on the spot - then she was reacting without facts, if she waited 7 hours to find the facts - then it was time to arrange the conspiracy. A no win situation.

Smithie 38

Gooday folks. This is an interesting subject on F1.

I think baldy's comments are on the mark (only because I am bald too that I agree with him). Half the population are wondering if they can afford to feed themselves. The other half worry about health, welfare and education.

So Baldy who do we vote for Winston??

Cheers

Baldy

Exactly.......

What the Greens and Nicky Hager don't seem to realise, is that in a shipment of seeds, there is always going to be cross-contamination of some kind. As Terry says, the only way to get a complete reading is to test EVERY seed in a shipment.

Election day is going to be interesting not for the election result, but to see what "actual" support the Greens have. I have a sneaking suspician that they will only get a fraction of the 10+% that the polls given them.
    But hey, the polls are only a random sampling - bit like the seeds, really LOL

Regards, BALDY

Heather P

Who to vote for comes down to statistics. Rate all candidates on a probability scale:

Marketing
    Ability
    Credibility
    Issues

Not necessarily in the above order...

Now me, I'm 99% certain that my computer is about to be reformatted (and 98% certain that I've backed up everything of relevance).

Baldy

Hi Smithie.

This is probably the first year I will vote with my feet.

I have had an absolute gutsfull of the polys only doing whats beneficial to themselves. I am surprised they even have a general election

BALDY

Baldy

Hi Heather,

This might sound like a "joke" question - but HOW DO YOU BACKUP the stuff on your computer. Is there a suitable program that you use for it?

Regards, BALDY