Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    nzporscheboy

Default Dynalink ISA Modem detection issues

I went to one of my mum's friends houses to set up her computer after she moved it from work to home. It meant that I had to get an internet account working etc and get it connected as it used to connect through the LAN to the net.
    It has an ISA Dynalink V1456VQH-R modem in it, and I cannot in any way get windows to find it. Does this mean that it's dead?

Oh yeah, it's a P2 333 MMX cpu with 64mb sdram running win ME ( i cringed when i booted it up) and it's a PC Direct computer.

Brendon ;/

Graham L

Default Re: Dynalink ISA Modem detection issues

Have a look in the BIOS and see what COM devices it recognises. If there's a serial mouse, it's probably on COM1 (IRQ 4). Disable COM2: if you can (that's the on-board one, (IRQ3) .
    Pull the modem card, and check its links. Make sure it is set to COM4 (IRQ 3) .

wuppo

Check the jumpers on the modem. If it is set to PNP (assuming this modem supports PNP), it maybe that the computer does not support ISA PNP devices.
    In which case, jumper the modem for COM4, IRQ3 and disable COM2 in the bios. (This should free IRQ3 for the modem - ISA devices can't share IRQ's). Boot up, and win should find a new com port. If it does, and there are no conflicts, you should be able to get the modem recognised.

If you can't disable COM2 in bios, check in windows to see if there are any IRQ's not in use, that can be jumpered on the modem card.

nzporscheboy

It had 2 jumper settings PnP and I think it was S1 or something 1. When I tried to set it up manually in windows it only showed Com 1 and Com 2. The mouse is an onboard PS2

Brendon ;/

wuppo

S1 is a set of 8 jumpers to set the IRQ / Com Port. See : http://www.dynalink.com.au/support/jumpers.htm

tweak\'e

a mate has one of these pos machines. poor felow

the motherboard will not find PnP isa cards so you have to set the jumbers on the modem to match the ports(1 or2). fortunatly the jumpers are writen on the modem. also for some reason these do not like sharing with other ports.

Graham L

"S1" could be a DIP switch rather than a row of jumpers ... the direction for "ON" will be marked on the top. It's best to select COM4 rather than COM2. Even if COM2 is disabled it physically exists.

tweak'e: of course they don't like sharing ports --- they have tristate rather than open-collector bus drivers.

tweak\'e

> "S1" could be a DIP switch rather than a row of
    > jumpers ... the direction for "ON" will be marked on
    > the top. It's best to select COM4 rather than COM2.
    > Even if COM2 is disabled it physically exists.
    >
    > tweak'e: of course they don't like sharing ports ---
    > they have tristate rather than open-collector bus
    > drivers.

explain please. normally com1&2 are pysical and com3&4 virtual.

Graham L

COM1 and COM2 normally are built in to modern motherboards. IBM 5051 PC and XT had dedicated plug in serial cards. Later ISA bus (286, 386 and 486) machines often had them on a multi I/O card which had serial, parallel, FD, and IDE HD, and sometimes joystick interface.

Because of the shortage of interrupts (basically causaed by a bad electronic design decision) , COM1 to COM4 are supported in DOS, but COM1 and COM3 share IRQ 4; COM2 and COM4 share IRQ3. The pairs can't be used together. They have separate ports (3f8, 2f8, 2e something ,....) because there is no shortage of port addresses.

It's a good idea to use an "unused on motherboard" device (COM4) rather than set the modem to COM2, (even with the on-board one disabled) because if by accident (say, by setting default CMOS BIOS settings after a crash) the COM2 gets reenabled, you get a subtle fault.

Subtle faults are nasty. :_|

Clear enough, tweak'e?

tweak\'e

thank you. tweak'e is still learning