Bodger

Default Hard Drive Failure?

I am running a HP8513 with Windows 98SE. For some weeks I have been getting message on intitial start up that warns of imminent hard disk failure - something to do with SMART. I hit F1 and then it wants to do a disk scan. I have done this several times - once using Nortons scan and once using the standard Windows one. Both took nearly 7 hours on a 10Gb hardisk and both did not fix the problem apart from finding bad clusters and moving them somewhere else. Now I cannot even run Virus Scan as it jags in after about 18 seconds. Not sure if I should bite the bullet and buy a new hard drive or is there another option?
    Any advice appreciated

Steve Askew

Default Re: Hard Drive Failure?

Try running scandisk from a win98 boot disk, Bad clusters are marked by the letter B. It won't fix your hard drive if it is on its last legs But it will give you a visual idea of how many clusters are dead.
    My mates looked like it had been shot with a shotgun full of B's
    or if you know the maker of harddrive you can download a utility from their website that will diagnose your HDD.

cheers Steve

tweak\'e

make sure you have got good backups then start looking for new harddrive.

boom23

Sounds like it's going to die. After you've done all the things that are mentioned above. You could try to low-format the disk, see if it helps with the bad sectors.

Graham L

That's what the SMART system does. It is warning you that the disk is likely to crash :-( . "Immanent" means "Soon". :-( I would believe it. Make your backups anyway. Immediately, if not sooner. And do your comparison shopping for a new drive.

kiwibeat

Back up all essential data and get a new HDD they are cheap as these days and reinstall Windows 98 sec edition or 2000 95 if you have an older machine , a 40 gig is about $250