Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Antonia

Default Visit this fantastic free software download site !

http://www.completelyfreesoftware.com/

Lots and lots of valuable freeware.
    I have downloaded and am using 602 ProPCSUITE 2001
    (Word processor, spreadsheets,602 photosuite.)

Very impressive.

Default Re: Visit this fantastic free software download site !

Forgive my scepticism, for it is late at night or - early in the morning - but why is it that your first post on PressF1 sounds so much like an ad? When I see words like "valuable" software, and "very impressive" I am reminded of all those emails trying to sell me things that clog my inbox. It's called spam.

Terry Porritt

Actually, it may not be a bad idea to incorporate links to useful freeware/shareware sites like Simtel, Garbo, Winsite etc.

kr0-n0s

I clicked on the link to determine if what was stated is true. It seemed valid enough. I only encountered 1 pop up. I didn't take a good look around, but this site may prove useful to some.

Matt

Susan B

I agree with Bruce that it sounds suspicious but I remember an Antonia on the old forum so maybe she's just excited about sharing a good discovery. I have actually got this site in my Favorites although haven't needed to visit it much.

Anyway, I've been thinking that it would be good to have, as part of the FAQ section maybe, a page of links to democratically selected good sites. Not pages and pages of links, just the cream of the cream where people can go and learn more good stuff or pick up good programs. I have found most of my favourite help pages from someone else posting a link and lots of people have appreciated me passing them on in turn.

It would make good sense to include such links in actual FAQ posts too, for further information like Graham P has done with the PCNine site link.

We don't need or want people to start spamming us with links to everything under the sun though, so I think it would need to be done formally once only like the FAQ is being done.

What do others think?

Chris Wilson

Susan,
    i agree with everything you said apart from the bit about things only needing to be done once, everything will change. Todays best ever free resourse may become the best spam mirror ever overnight. For this reason such a document will have to be a living one, and will probably need to have some form of moderation. As you point out, "We don't need or want people to start spamming us with links to everything under the sun though,"
    I nominate "Susan" for this moderator role as i realise that Bruce & Robo already have quite alot on thier hands. I suggest that such a resourse could also be hosted by you as a public resourse that is an extention of F1. Perhaps things suggested on F1 once tested by select regulars, such as the candy group could then be sent to you. This could prove an adequate screening process. It's just an idea, But i do know your webbuilding skills are sufficiant for the task, and that there is more than enough space on servers that could be offered to you for this role.

My 2 worth
    Chris.

Antonia

You are right Susan, I have posted before as Antonia De and you have helped me in the past as well as a few other kind persons.

No, I am not a spammer; was just so impressed. The program is very similar to MS Office and can view and edit their documents.

However, I am having trouble closing the program down, as it produces an error message and pagefault. I'll check out the website of the software producers to find out whether it is a common problem that can be fixed. Will let you know the results.

Bye for now and have a nice weekend. It is raining in Te Awanga !

Antonia

Susan B

Yes, you've made some good points regarding sites changing all the time, Chris (I thought you had a really busy weekend lined up, by the way?! ;-) )

The reason I said it needed to be done once was to avoid half a dozen people saying every day that this site or that site was the best and had to be put on the list. There are hundreds/thousands/millions out there after all.

If a page changed or someone found another really good one, then of course the list of links would be changed as well. I didn't actually mean to do it and then forget it.

Thank you for the compliment and vote of confidence in nominating me to put a page together, I'd be quite happy to do it.

Heather P

Hi Susan,

Lots of times people have suggested sites for downloads, I don't write them down then wish I did. I'd suggested the following for the FAQs:

Q. Where can I find a program to do x?

A. Check out these sites:

http://tucows.ihug.co.nz/
    http://tucows.com/

(the dots are for the other ones that I didn't write down)
    Heather

Susan B

Thanks Heather, I'll note those two down. Know what you mean about wishing you'd written something down after seeing it. I've done that a few times myself.

> .....
    > .....
    >
    > (the dots are for the other ones that I didn't write
    > down)

LOL