superOman

Default .htaccess and .htpasswd files

Does anyone know much about .htaccess and .htpasswd files. (to protect a directory of your website). I am involved in a number of sport websites and would like to make some content unavailable to the public. Have read lots on the web, but can't figure out the server root/address for the top line of the .htaccess file so it doesnt work. Have emailed paradise but they don't seem to want to reply. Cant seem to telnet to paradise either. Dont know if they support it,.

Any ideas?

Mary H

Default Re: .htaccess and .htpasswd files

Hi superOman,

ihug have a really good tutorial on htaccess, which should hopefully help you out!

Not sure whether paradise support it, and it doesn't mention anything on their faq... perhaps try their helpdesk??

superOman

Thanks
    I sent an email to the webmaster on friday about it. He hasn't replied.
    Phoned the helpdesk, waited about 20 minutes and at the end of it they said im prettry sure we support it. But did they know where my files are stored on the server no! Their reply. Email the webmaster.

Slack Paradise.

Greg S

Hi. Did you sort this problem out?

sal

*bump*

a while ago, i went to this link, which was some kind of asian site, so from there i decided to go to google.com (which i correctly typed into the address bar) and instead of going to google.com, i went to some kind of page related to the asian site.

now i was wondering if redirection of this type was possible using maybe the .htaccess file?

grtz sal.
    tga

Graham L

Nope, sal. Some of the Asian sites do strange things to your browser. ;-) They want you captive. These library computers are often used to access an asian news site. They need rebooting afterwards --- PF1 password doesn't like my password translated to korean or chinese.

.htaccess controls access to "this" site.

These dot files (.htaccess and .htpassword) are a Unix thing ... are they allowed on Microsoft Web servers? (The "." first character means that they are hidden files.)

sal

oh, yeah, i know all about .htaccess and .htpasswd files, just thought this might be a cool trick it could do that i didnt know about, eg,

if (site=http://google.com) {
    site=http://asiansite.whataboutthis.com.com
    }; (oops, no if statements in .htaccess files...)

grtz sal.
    tga