teylyn

Default graphic files not displaying in Win98 file explorer

hi all,
    after a bad idea (installing old, old Corel 4 on my Windows 98 computer) I saw that corel had taken ownership of the .bmp .jpg .gif and some other file types. I've successfully changed them back to be tackled with other programs when double clicking on them but I don't seem to be able to make the win98 file explorer display them in the preview area when the folder setting is set to display as web site.

I can see files with the ending *.JPEG in the preview area ok, but not, for example files with the ending *.JPG. If I change the file ending to say *.JPEG, the little preview shows up. Does anybody know what to do? I have already re-installed win98, but to no avail.

thanks for answering

teylyn

Susan B

Default Re: graphic files not displaying in Win98 file explorer

In Windows Explorer go to View|Folder Options|File Types and scroll down to the JPEG Image file type.

Click once on it then Edit. In Actions click on open|Edit. Under Application make sure that it say IExplore and the "Application used to perform action" is something like: "C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\iexplore.exe" -nohome although your path may differ.

The "Use DDE" box should be ticked with "file:%1",,-1,,,,, in the message box. Copy and paste to be sure.

Click OK all the way out.

If that doesn't help post back and we'll try something else.

teylyn

thanks for your answer. I found that this did not really help. the file would be opened with iexplorer all right but did not display in the preview area of the windows file explorer. in the end I deleted all the file descriptions for gif jpg bmp and re-installed windows. that did the trick.

cheers

teylyn

Susan B

Sorry that it didn't help. I thought maybe the preview might have been tied up with IE like so many of Windows' functions but obviously not this time.

Glad to hear that you sorted it out for yourself in the end though. :-)

angrycomputeruser

I know that you have solved this problem, but i have also encountered a similar problem to yours. I recently, mysteriously could not view nor preview jpg/jpeg files in explorer. Also I searched on this forum and could not find a solution =(. So I came up with my own solution to save any poor bastard from reinstalling everything to get thumbnail/quickview back for any image file:

1. go to start>run>regedit
    2.PLZ backup registry!! then click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    3.scroll then click on the desired image extension for me it was jpeg and jpg
    4. 2 items (default and content type) shud appear on the right pane and on the data column for content type my one read "image/gif" for jpg and jpeg and this is wrong because for the other files the word after "image/" always corresponds with the extension, eg for tif it would read "image/tif" in the data column. Anyway change the word after "image/" if it is wrong, and enter the word jpeg for jpegs or jpg for jpgs etc. This shud fix yor problem, because it fixed mine =)

I sent this msg because i found out that alot of ppl in this forum had the same prob as me and hopefully I hav helped you !!! have a nice day!

Susan B

Thanks for sharing that. I have copied it into my Cardfile for future reference because this one does crop up every now and then. :-)