Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    robo

Default Normal service will resume shortly

As your ISPs get their DNS entries updated, you will hit the new F1.

Hello, and welcome. we hope you like it. It has been a lot of hard work but I think it has been worth it.

Come on in and stay awhile.

robo.

Susan B

Default Re: Normal service will resume shortly

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are talking about Robo? My Press F1 link doesn't work but Candy does...

godfather

Ahhh... but as the various services recognise the new location for "PressF1", then the link will work. Depending on who your ISP is, your mileage may vary...

Graham L

Umm.

Fought through the registration. An error occurred. Fix the entries marked with the red asterisk (the items which have a black asterisk to show that they are optional). Fought the Settings. Save . Back to setting page. Save and return. Back to settings. Click one of the up/down arrows, move cursor up then back. Save. Back to settings. Cancel.

Login page. Login. PressF1 Grey Screen. An error occurred. If this error continues contact your webmaster ... "Error Summary" underlined indicating link. Click on it. Bottom line "destination" says "Error on page". Informative. Hit Logout.

PressF1 weloming Guest. It works!

Go back to login

Login. Well well.

Try Spell Check. Doesn't like "Umm". *I* like "Umm". Doesn't like "PressF1". *I* like PressF1. I think.

We'll see.

marke

I hope that the pain of registration will be outweighed by the benefits of not having to retype your name and email every time you post ... not to mention all the other customisation things that can be done now that each person can maintain their own settings.

There will be a few bugs no doubt as we settle things down - hopefully no serious ones, as your PressF1 colleagues have been thrashing the system to beta test it.

If you find bugs, please let us know so we can fix them if possible. Email nzwebmaster@idg.co.nz.

Hope you enjoy the new PressF1.

Regards,

Mark Evans
    Online Business Manager
    IDG Communications Ltd

Heather P

Susan,

A web site has a physical IP address - that group of numbers seperated by dots. A domain name is a virtual readable address. The virtual address points to the physical address.

To keep track of the addresses the ISPs use a DNS (Domain Name Server).

There are millions of web sites and thousands of DNSs. The DNSs don't record all the millions of web sites but update themselves dynamically as required.

Press F1 moving to a new IP address will filter down through the DNSs as they update themselves.

Fix the entries marked with the red asterisk (the items which have a black asterisk to show that they are optional).

It does NOT say optional. The asterisk says these demographic dertails will not be displayed to other users.

Bottom line "destination" says "Error on page". Informative. Hit Logout.

Error messages are designed to help programmers track problems. Posting the error summary would help us find out what caused the problem.

Susan B

Thanks for that Heather, I guess I have a much slower ISP than you do 'cos you got here pretty quick!

Oh, and a big welcome to the new forum! :-)

Heather P

ISP is ihug. It must be that dish pointing at the Sky Tower that speeded it up - even through the storm.

Graham L

Bruce: I was not being totally serious ... and certainly not critical. I don't expect perfection from computers. BTW, do you expect people to read the instructions?. This is PressF1, remember. ;-) .

But I did not post the Error Summary *because* all I got from clicking the link was the informative piece which I *did* post. I assumed that it was not a link, but an HTML footnote.

But it looks good. It is taking a while for pages to display here, but I'm through prox(ies?) and a heavily loaded network. And they have NT servers ...