Default Oh no. I have major problems with colour

I no I shouldn`t but I did.
    I am running Windows 98SE and went into Computer and was checking out devices and drivers. All was well until I got to the Monitor, checked out the device and then clicked update. Got a message to say an update was available so I said 'yes' and then got message to say it had been installed = restart computer. Tried that but it seemed to freeze, so after a while I clicked ctrl,alt,delete and ended task. All seemed to be ok. Later on I shut down computer and when I restarted I had this terrible screen, running 16 colours. Can`t get the slider to move, so am stuck in this at the moment. Does it sound like a visit to the Doctor or is there some kind person out there who has a word of encouragement and maybe an answer. Teach me not to play with things I guess. Iris

Default Re: Oh no. I have major problems with colour

Hi Iris

Well, sounds like you have lost your video drivers, and what you now have it a default set with low resolution, hence 16 colours.

If you post back with more details such as type of computer, video card (if you know it) etc. Make and exact model of computer may be enough, and I am sure some kind sould can walk you through it.

Remember, if its not broken, keep fixing it until it is...

If you have a Driver disk that came with the computer for your monitor, try reinstalling from that.

Not too sure about video card but I have Intel Celeron Windows 98SE. When I click on Computer and look down the devices to sound, video, game controllers they all seem to be microsoft and say they are working properly. I have a Phillips 15inch Monitor. Can`t think of anything else that may be useful. Thanks for your replies anyway. Iris

You have to determine if the Video driver is damaged or if the system is corrupt.

Device Manager should be able to indicate if the video has any problems. If you are unable to reload the video driver try deleting the following registry key (Win98 only)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Class\Display\????

The question marks will indicate 0000 or 0001. Delete these numbers only and then remove the display adaptor from Device Manager.

Restarting the machine will be like installing the display for the first time as the reg history has been deleted.

You have to determine if the Video driver is damaged or if the system is corrupt.

Device Manager should be able to indicate if the video has any problems. If you are unable to reload the video driver try deleting the following registry key (Win98 only)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Class\Display\????

The question marks will indicate 0000 or 0001. Delete these numbers only and then remove the display adaptor from Device Manager.

Restarting the machine will be like installing the display for the first time as the reg history has been deleted.

What brand of PC is it? Look up the manufacturer web site and look for the video drivers. If it is not a mainstream manufacture, download and run belarc advisor www.belarc.com it will tell you the manufacturer and model of the motherboard. Have a look at their site for video drivers.

Iris,
    I had a similar problem to this a few months ago. I solved it by restarting the pc in msdos mode and after the c:windows prompt type scanreg/restore. It will come up with four cab files. Choose one with a date prior to when you changed the setting,highlite it and click on restore.Win 98 scans your registry each day when you boot up and hopefully you can go back to the settings you had before the change but it only saves the last 4 boot ups.It worked for me so hopefully you can be lucky too.