Default Multiple Monitor compatible CHEAP PCI video card

I'm after a cheap secondary PCI video card to run a second monitor off my system. Any ideas of what sort I could get (don't care anything like memory or resolution, although it has to do at least 800x600 as has to run on XP; I just want the cheapest I can get.)

Anyway, the question is this: Can any PCI video card work running multiple monitors (main video card is an AGP), or do I specifically have to look for something that'll run multiple... also, can a 1 or 4mb card work fine, or will I need something more?

I'm just needing a second screen for occasional work - the rest of the time I'll be using just one.

Mike.

PS does all that make sense? I'm sick and I'm tired, and nothing seems to make sense just now LOL.

Default Re: Multiple Monitor compatible CHEAP PCI video card

Mike,
    I'm not certain you can run both a PCI and an AGP card in/on the same mobo/pc. You may need to get a dual-head (two monitor outlet) AGP card to achieve what you want to do.

I'm of course always happy to be corrected. :-))

Cheers, Babe.

Yes any PCI card will do the trick you will of course need a extra monitor and lots of desk space look on trademe.co.nz for a cheap video card

Babe,

You can most certainly run both PCI and AGP on the same system at the same time... just some older video cards (not so sure about new ones) weren't compatible with multiple monitor setup.

Mike.

Thanks for that Gordon; I wasn't sure if just any old PCI card would work - I know you have to get a certain type with really old (ISA) video cards

Now to find that card (I've got plenty of old screens, and lots of desk space... well, once I've moved the scanner somewhere)

Mike.

hello mike louwrens...before u buy that pci video card ur after..u might wanna check microsoft website, on which pci video card that they had tried and tested for multiple monitors(e.g. windows xp u mentioned), and what make and model.

Jim Q.

Jim,

Good point! Thanks for that VERY useful piece of advice... could save me some hassles.

Thanks

Mike.