Default please recomend a good linux O/S for linux virgin?

I am setting up a machine that will be primaraly a web server, and storage as my doze machine is too old for big drives, i'm expecting a learning curve, but want to be gentle on myself

What would be good to start with?

Default Re: please recomend a good linux O/S for linux virgin?

I have used Mandrake with success, but it will depend on the hardware. Have a browse around some linux sites to get a better idea. It is a undocumented rule that one should always read as much as possible before installing Linux. Your local library might provide a good resource too.

My advice would be to go with RedHat or Mandrake. I think the best way to get started is to buy a recent version of the book 'Using RedHat Linux ' QUE or similar. The book will then get you started with a CD or two included - same distribution and version as the text. Linux is free!! BUT it is best to spend some $ to get started.

John
    Linux+ Certified

Red Hat. Find a mirror for the LDP -- the Linux Documentation Project. (http://dunedin.lug.net.nz/ has one). Have a look at the guides (the 'Getting Started' one is very good). Look through the HOWTO files. There will be some which refer to what you want to do. READ THEM. It is a good idea to try your public libary. Get one of the books whichj has a CD with Redhat -- it doen't matter that it's not the latest version. Load it up and play. Don't use the GUI. Get familiar with the command line. It's the best way to manage a Linux system. (Don't use emacs or vi for editing. They are 'powerful' editors. Use pico or joe.

This will be your throwaway installation. Experiment with it. Crash it. Install Samba and network it with your Windows machines. Play with that, and get a feel for how it works. If you stuff up the setup, reinstall -- don't mess about 'fixing' it. Write down what works. Don't put on anything important until you do the real install.

Then get a recent version and install it as your working one. (there are people who provide CDs at cheap prices. Don't download 1300 MB yourself.)

I have allready downloaded redhat7.2 and mandrake 8.? of paradises linux-file server and have arranged access to a CD burner. I also have a copy of redhat 5 and redhat 6.2, so i shall be taking your advice, and installing red5 first. The hunt for printed documentation shall begin after the weekend.

Thankyou, this is the best advise i have had so far.

Will i be able to do as have done with my doze machine, and have a smaller drive (10G?)for the system, and a larger drive (80G?) to stash my actual data on? If i do, will i get the same advantage of being able to reformatt the wee one completely if/when i stuff it up without losing the main stash of data?

RedHat 7.3 is out now.

JM

yes - you will be able to keep your data separate (like on d: drive in Windows). You should have at least 3 partitions - / (root), swap and /home. During the install allocate the second drive to /home.

To be prefectly honest there is only one answer for a newbie, Mandrake Linux. Download 8.1 or 8.2 I was a comlete newb three months a go and just walked straight into 8.1 and then started running. There is also a great help forum where actual users help each other out at www.mandrakeuser.org Don't even bother with RH5-6 they may not recognise your new stuff and are nowhere near as intuitive as 8.1 I haven't tried 7.3 yet but it sounds nice, however the word is Mandrake and I believe.

Your mileage may vary, and good luck.