Default Driver problem? I fixed my HP Laserjet printing problem but.....

I resolved my HP6L faint printing problem by buying a new HP1200 laserjet. It was easier than wasting more time on the old girl. Since it prints so nicely i decided to share it with my other computer on a simple network.

The network set up ok and sharing is enabled and working, however to be able to print from the remote computer I had to allow the sharing wizard on the remote computer to install printer drivers. It said that the drivers were not installed and didn't offer any options.

Is it normal to require drivers on every computer that shares a printer or have I enabled sharing wrongly? (Clayton's sharing?)

Host is Win98 and the share is on Windows 2000.

Thanx Alex

Default Re: Driver problem? I fixed my HP Laserjet printing problem but.....

Absolutely! Think of your network connection to the printer as just a long printer cable connected to your remote computer. Without a printer driver - you have nothing to print to.

Thanx wuppo

It feels good to know i got it right. HP1200 is great but sooooo much noisier than the HP6L. Sounds very industrial!
    Alex

Thanx wuppo

It feels good to know i got it right. HP1200 is great but sooooo much noisier than the HP6L. Sounds very industrial!
    Alex

Yes you will require driver(s) on each machine. The process that trans lates what your app wants to print to a print file is handled locally and just the print spool file gets sent to the printer. The local machine threfore needs to know how to do that translation and the driver provides part of that.