Default defrag,lost icons, blank screen

1. The defrag window disappears as soon as I select it, ergo, I am unbale to know when it hasfinished, or even if it is still operating defrag!!

2. All icons disappear and I am left with a green screen - nothing to click on to close down with or ANYTHING!

3.message appears saying 'No ISDN device was found etc.'

HELP. What do I do with all this stuff?

Default Re: defrag,lost icons, blank screen

Hi Anne

You don't say what OS you have but assuming it is Win 98, 98SE or ME, try the following:

Navigate to the defrag icon in System Tools, right click, select Properties and look at the 'Target' window. It should say C:\windows\defrag.exe.

If it doesn't, highlight what is there, delete and type in the correct target as above then try again. If this doesn't work, using Explorer, check in C:\windows\ for defrag.exe. If it is not there, you will need to replace it. If you are using Win98 or 98SE, now might be a good time to upgrade to the defrag version provide in ME as it is better and faster than the original 98 version.

You can download this from HTTP//surecool.com.download.htm, you will find it under utilities in the middle of the page. I haven't used this particular download before but unzip it to an empty folder and there should be a .BAT file that will do the install for you. It may balk if defrag.exe is missing completely so you could probably just copy the unzipped defrag.exe across to C:\windows. Provided you still have the correct info in icon properties/target defrag should now work.

Even if you have ME already, if defrag.exe is missing this is as good a way as any to replace the file if you need to.

If it doesn't work after all that, post more information about your results and we'll try again.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)