Default Upgrade from Win2K to Win98 - can it be done?

Hi guys

Need some advice. I need to turn a Win2K machine into a Win98 machine (issue with software compatibility that seems to be a Win2K thing).

I don't think I can just slip in a Win98 CD and go, can I?

Am I going to have to trash the machine completely?

Would love some suggestions (nice ones).

robo.

Default Re: Upgrade from Win2K to Win98 - can it be done?

Its the case of windows not allowing you to install an older version over a newer one.......a friend once showed me some files that you can delet from DOS that will then allow you to do it....but then if your running NTFS that makes that plan a bit harder.

It would probably just be a lot quicker and tidier in the long run to nuke the win2k and install 98 from scratch...........unless there is some stuff you really want to save, then I would just partition it.....move the files I want to save and nuke it anyway....

Wouldn't that be a downgrade?

Anyway if the Win2k filesystem is NTFS it's quite *improbable* to get it back to Win98 without destroying the partition and recreating it as FAT32. Programs like Partition Magic I hear can convert NTFS back to FAT32 but that may leave win2k in a state of shock that you'll find it may no longer function anymore.

As long as you back up all your important and just the things you want you should be able to get Win98 on it again and just restore your backed up files onto it again.

I suspect that there is a barb in your request!

Why are there issues with Win2000? If you do not want Win2000, why not just reformat the hard drive and install Win98?

As I understand it, Win2000 is a completely different format to the Win FAT system. Therefore you need to make a provision for the HDD to cope with a FAT system and that can only be done by either a reformat to FAT or a separate partition on the HDD.

Bryan.

I think the biggest hassle I have is that I think I only have an upgrade version of 98, and it won't install on clean machine.

In past, have ended up installing 95 first, which sucks.

I guess I need to check the media cupboard.

robo.

I hope all these OSs have licences and are being adhered to........

If the HD is in FAT format you could go and delete all the files apart from the ones which need to be kept. Then install 98.

Better would be to back-up files to CDRW or spare partition and start fresh.

I'd imagine that if the HD is in FAT format you could get rid of the registry files and standard 'crucial' windows files, this would probably trick it into not recognising the Win2000.

You can probably do a clean install of 98SE by using Win3.11 disks as verification that you own a previous version of windows. So you should be able to do a clean install of 98 with 95 disc as verification.

JM