Default Windows 2000 slow boot

Between the time the task bar comes up at the bottom of the screen and the desktop and icons appear, I have a pause of a few minutes. I've tracked this down to timeouts shown in the event log but despite searching Microsoft's knowledgebase, I'm none the wiser to what is causing them.

The first one is this:

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the RasAuto service.

This has an event ID of 7011 (does anyone know where I can find a fuller definition of that code?).

The next error is:

The Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

That has an ID of 7000.

There are a number of other similar errors for the Netman service and DCOM is mentioned.

When this first happened, I decided to reload Windows 2000 and it was all working OK until I was near the end of loading the patches from Windows Update and adding my firewall and Norton so I guess that one of those might have done something. First thing I did was to remove all programs out of the Startup group but that made no difference so if loading the firewall/virus software did anything, it must have been in changes to the registry. That or that last update I loaded from Microsoft which was a security roll up dated in January this year.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Default Re: Windows 2000 slow boot

Nick

If you have a network card but no network, disable the card in device manager. Slow boot can be caused by the computer searching for a non-existent network connection. Even if you don't think you have a network card, you could have an on-board NIC. This can also be disbled in device manager or shutdown in the Bios.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Thanks for the suggestion, Billy. It isn't that, though, as I have two network cards - one connecting me to my home LAN and the other to my cable modem.

I tried reloading Win2K from scratch after posting this question and noted at which point the reboot slowed down. It would appear that it may be something that Zone Alarm Pro 3.0 is doing and I have fired a detailed question off to them. If I get an answer, I will post it here in case anyone else bumps into the same problem.

Cheers,
    Nick

Thanks for the suggestion, Billy. It isn't that, though, as I have two network cards - one connecting me to my home LAN and the other to my cable modem.

I tried reloading Win2K from scratch after posting this question and noted at which point the reboot slowed down. It would appear that it may be something that Zone Alarm Pro 3.0 is doing and I have fired a detailed question off to them. If I get an answer, I will post it here in case anyone else bumps into the same problem.

Cheers,
    Nick

I suspect its your 'firewall' software. Don't worry about your startup folder so much. Rather check your services, (control panel, admin tools, services), this is where you will be able to disable these programs in 2000. Have a look for any service that is set to start automatically but isn't running first up.

Then look for any service that is related to your firewall software. Disable it and restart. If that fixes the problem, have a look on the vendors site for a fix.

All the Automatic services are running. The one that it complained about this morning when my son turned the machine on was the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager and that is set to manual so I guess that it is something else that is trying to start that. The reason why I suspect the firewall is that it is supposed to control access to remote DNS servers and my internet connection includes DNS servers. Before I told the firewall software about the other machines on my network I noticed it rejecting my other machines trying to access that DNS server. Thing is, without that service running, it all seems to work OK including other machines on my network so I'm not sure why it is necessary. I'd like to disable the call if I could figure out what was doing it.

I may try uninstalling the Firewall and see if the problem disappears.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
    Nick

That confirms it - I deinstalled Zone Alarm Pro and the problem has gone away. No services trying to start themselves and failing. As I've paid for it up-front, I'll have to nag Zone Labs until they give me the answer. If I get something, are you (Shayde and Billy) interested in hearing the answer?

Nick

Sure am Nick!

I would have bet quids that it wasn't caused by ZoneAlarm though the evidence certainly points that way. However, it may yet prove that something else is the cause.

I am sharing internet access via nework hub and Nokia router/modem for four computers, three W2K and one W98 with the two most commonly on line (1 x W2k & W98) set up with ZA Pro V3 same as you.

Is the DNS server you refer to part of your installation or external? I'm not too clued up on the technology so I don't know what Remote Access Auto Connection Manager is supposed to do. I don't think it's running on my W2k machine which might explain why I don't have your problem.

Good luck with getting an answer from Zone Labs, but have you done a search on Google for the key words in case there is an answer already out there somewhere?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)