Default Unsolicited Email

Some time ago I received an email from a website I'd never heard of, let alone visited. It stated that I had requested it (the response mail) on my last visit to their site. It was clear from other content of the email, that the site was one I would choose not to see, so didn't follow the links. How did they get my email address?? I imagine it is possible for someone with a warped sense of humour, to enter my email address instead of their own.
    I tried to contact Ihug to ask if it was possible to find out who the perpetrator was, but never got a response except an non-committed automated one. (as I had had many times in the past. I'm now with Paradise!) Does anyone know if it is possible, if so, please let me know. Thanks,
    Em

Default Re: Unsolicited Email

Ern

Don't get us started.

The war on email terrorism continues, but with about as much success as the US have had finding Bin Liner.

It happens. Don't give your email everywhere they ask, but don't give them mine either.

robo.

Thanks Robo... That subject will be laid to rest now, I will never know if it was my darling brother.... I thought he loved me!
    Love your Bin Liner crack... took a second to realise it was not a typo.
    So, how do I stop any emails I send out from showing my address??
    Don't worry 'bout me giving anyone yours, I've forgotten it already.... Then again, I can look it up in outlook... can't I?

The chances of ever finding out how this site or any site got your email address is about as good as winning first prize in your lotto 3 weekends in a row.
    You don't need to go to that web site for them to get your address.
    It is possible to generate random addresses and they might have got lucky with yours. More likely they have got your name from another source which can any one of the following and probably many more ;
    Got your name from a newsgroup whether web based or through your news account, maybe you have used some other service such as one of the many free internet services such as cards or mp3's or something and your address has been sold on, someone has forwarded on emails that still contain your address or has sent you a everyone else in there address book as CC instead of BCC, do you get any newsletters, they have your name and might have sold on your address as well.
    If you are getting unwanted mail which you are forced to download to see what it is, you can create a rule in Outlook Express to delete from server, simply select the message / click Message / Create Rule from Message / in the second set of options, select Delete from server / in the third window where the spammers address is, if it is something like freetrip@grouplotto.com then right click once and in the small box that appears, in the Add line, type in the address from the @ onwards, in this case, @grouplotto.com , they can change the first part of the address to freecar and still not get through to you. If the address is something like xtra, hotmail, yahoo etc don't add the second part of the address otherwise you block everyone else at that address as well as the spammers.

Another wonderful weapon in the war agaist SPAM, and virus's is educating people what the BCC feild is for when sending personal bulk email. There is nothing like seeing my email address along with 200 others in the 'to' feild of email i received, (usually some really unfunny joke or something). My address then gets distributed to 200 people, and some of them wont be able to resist forwarding the whole thing, including the 200 email adresses to all their 'freinds'!
    There have been more than one virus resantly that reads these adresses, and sends itself not only to everyone in the adress book, but also anything in the message headers stored by outlook. Spammers can also get these adresses, and collect (harvest) email adresses from these and many other sourses.
    I still have an @ihug adress from my own pre paradise days, and it is where 90% of my spam comes from. I agree that ihug seemed less than interested in fighting spam through it's system, but it is not ihugs fault that my old adress is on one of those cd's of 'over one million email adresses' that spammers try to sell me.
    The most important thing is NEVER unsubscribe, all you are doing is confirming that you exsist, block them instead. I think it also helps to have an adress that is not overly predictable. i would garentee that john@ihug gets LOTS of spam, so would Sally and David. Sad but true.

Thanks Chris and Gordon.... I've made it my personal rule to (almost) never willy-nilly forward anything with multiple addresses in it, no matter how funny/pertinent they may be. On the odd occasion when I do, I first of all save the message to my harddrive, then I tidy the whole thing up by getting rid of all the addresses and messy >>>>'s etc, then I choose who I want to send it to. I also scan all attachments before opening them. Consequently I've been 'lucky' enough to escape any serious invasions of virii.
    (I guess it also helps to use an email provider other than Outlook (Express) which is the one targeted mostly by viruses).

An addition to Chris' advice. I once received an e-mail with a virus infection warning from someone whose name I didn't recognise. I opened it cautiously and found it was from someone at a firm to which I had made a sales enquiry some time previously. They didn't deal in what I enquired about and it was unlikely that I would have any further contact with them, but they had obviously kept my details on file. I suspect that they have their e-mail set up to automatically add all new addresses to their address book. Hence I had unwittingly been potentially exposed to the virus that they had contracted. My policy now is that in anything that looks like a one-off contact I request that my name not be added to the recipient's e-mail address book.